When do you start dilating for labor?

edited March 2011 in Giving birth
I was just wondering when do you start dilating for labor; I have a few weeks left and I'm just a little worried because I feel like I'm its just getting tighter instead of loosening up and a little afraid of my vagina tearing :S Happened a couple of times to the ladies of my family that went through labor.

Comments

• It's my first pregnancy and I'm not going to lie, I'm scared of labor even if I want it to happen asap.
  • I have been dilating since 30 weeks but it is completely normal not to dilate at all until labor actually starts donts wry u will be fine
  • I'm 33 weeks and my dr hasn't even checked to see if I've dilated any. Can you tell if you are? Or does the dr have to check?
  • I was alreadly 3 cm 1 and a half weeks befor I gave birth
  • @leahsmommy, your vagina may tear whether you begin to dilate now or when you actually go into labor because it is actually your cervix that dilates which is located at the top of your vagina. It separates you uterus from your vagina. So I hate to tell you but tearing may be inevitable.
  • I just went for my first cervical check, i have 15 days or less till my due date, n they said I was 1 cm dialated but once I got home I lost my mucus plug:/ I wish id have my baby today lol!
  • edited March 2011
    They don't start checking until my last trimester that's why you visit every week and I started dialating the 1st week of my las trimester... I went from 1a half the 1st week the to 2 the next week...my doctor said I'll give you a week and he was right. My water broke that weekend... Had her on the 5th was due on the 23rd. Was a easy labor I think compared to others. I'm 9wks now I just pray that this 1 is easy too.
  • @jojom the doc has to check u the only reason I knew so early was because I went into preterm labor and was checked at the hospital
  • @serenitysmommy what r u talking about 40 wks they start checking u at 36 weeks usually some docs not until 38 weeks. Ur comment is quit confusing may need to be reworded
  • Doctors start checking at 36 weeks. I'm 37 weeks and my doctor told me I'm only 1/2 a cm dilated! I'm a little nervous about labor too. But everything will be fine & worth it too! I ready to have this baby, I can't stand not being able to sleep at night!
  • edited March 2011
    Not at 40 weeks lol I meant in my last trimester. Sorry I was about 36 weeks
  • My Dr has opted not to check me at my weekly visits because I tested positive for Group B Strep, and it increases the risk of infection to baby. Every dr is different, but many will opt not to do cervical checks unless you are having contractions or showing other signs of labor.
  • I wasn't supposed to get checked till 39 weeks if I'm dilated but at 37 weeks and 1 day last Tuesday I was 4 cm dilated and delivered my first baby:-) it all depends on ur body when you start dilating