Herpes and pregnancy... O.o

Okay, before you judge me for posting this topic, let me teach you a little something... Do not go by what you see on google images when you look up herpes. That is absolutely WORST POSSIBLE CASE SCENERIO, most herpes out breaks include one, painful sore (not worts) about the size of O<~ that, and usually only happens once a year. But being pregnant drops your immune system so much its possible to have mildly worse outbreaks and more often.

I'm posting this, yes, because I have type 2 herpes (genital), and naturally, even tho at week 36 they put you on antibiotics to prevent an out break during labor and its a less than 3% chance of infecting your baby, I'm still worried that the little dot will appear and a c section will be my only opinion when I want a natural birth with no epidural. Herpes is sometimes an unavoidable thing, I got it from being raped and passed it to my mate before it was possible to know that I had it. No one was at fault and after we found out that it wasnt as horrible as we had previously thought, we turned it into a joke since there is nothing we can do about it. We decided with an obs permission that we would try for a baby, now its a little frightening.

Am I alone in being able to admit this? If not tell me your story

Comments

• A friend of mine is worried she has herpes and she is pregnant as well. She said her doctor said she will prescribe Valtrex to her when she's 36 weeks along and she can have a vaginal birth as well. I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm glad your able to tell your story and talk to other women about it.
  • I'm sorry that happened but calm down ur baby will be fine if u r on meds ur extra extra okay...don't sweat
  • Its never bothered me :) I'm not afraid to admit it, ive been trying to start a support group for it but its such a touchy topic for most women that its hard to get one started. Its a scary thing sometimes when you are pregnant, the last thing you want to worry about is giving your baby an std, at 1% chance with out an out break its very unlikely, but the fear is there nonetheless
  • I give u alot of respect for being able to talk about this and i don't know much but my friend has 2 children and neither one of them have it she had vaginal birth both times
  • My mother had me vaginally and has herpes, as long as you don't have a break out your fine. I don't have it, so it doesn't spread
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My friend had it with her last 2 pregnancies and neither of her children have it...though her bd has it now....Good luck
  • Oh ouch @mama_kat being lied to esp about something like that hurts like a sob. I'm sorry to hear that but you seem to be a very strong girl! I'm sure either way your baby will be just fine, c section or not, (preferrably not) but I feel ya :) same basic scenario
  • I totally agree! I much rather have it down there than where its going to be exposed to my baby on a regular basis!
  • Thanks as well to those of you who show your respects rather than judge :)
  • Thanks for having the courage to share! Most woman judge but forget that 90% of the time herpes is passed by someone who doesn't have the decency to tell thier sexual partner. I'm sorry tho, in ur situation! Good luck in your pregnancy.
  • :) ty very much
  • I hv a gf as well that has herpes and she had 3 beautiful children w/o complications. All the best to u and ur family!! :-)
  • Wow this is deep! My heart goes out 2 all those going thru that bc idk how I wud react. Its awsome that u can share this info bc I had no idea..I feel educated! Lol good luck 2 all us mommies!
  • Good luck to you I hope everything worksout
  • I get cold sores but its very rare. I used to get them all the time but now I haven't had one in almost a year. When I get them they clear up quick usually. I got it from drinking after my cousin when I was 9. Im very careful about keeping my hands clean and not sharing drinks.
  • When you go to your ob/gyn do they test for herpes when you find out ur preggo?
  • I know my ob does but the herpe test never has come back positive.
  • He runs a complete std scan
  • @sunshinelove I also have it and there are only 2 pple in my life who kno b/c I don't wanna be judged either. Typical reaction from pple is that ur a dirty slut and u mustve slept with 100 pple. I was also lied to unfortunately by a douche bag and ended up getting it, but its not the end of the world. I was fortunate enough to find my man who was so accepting of it and never judgmental..he doesn't have it (knock on wood) and I don't have very many outbreaks but I am scared/nervous too b/c I really don't wanna have a c section! My OB was very reassuring about giving birth naturally tho and the low risks, so we'll have to wait and see. Another thing I've dealt with...judgemental doctors, yep the pple that are supposed to be professional, which is absolutely ridiculous! I'm just glad I'm not alone tho, its so important to have a support group! I'm hopeful that one day there will be a cure but until then I've learned to deal with it, I just wish others were more understanding and less judgmental. Thanx for posting this! :)
  • Wow sorry you ladies have to deal with this, but I'm sure your baby will be born fine :) I dated a guy for a while who had HSV2 and he was honest from the get go. I still slept with him, and never got it..we were very careful. So its not such a bad thing, I think you just need to use extreme caution and be educated about the virus.
  • edited April 2011
    :)- Edited for privacy
  • Just wanna say... thanks for being brave, all if u, and educating pregly. I admire That and wish u all nothing but amazing pregnancies and births!!!!!
  • Wow its more common than I thought. I was pretty promiscuous as a teen & thankfully I came out with cureable stds except for hpv. I did have stress 2weeks ago & up popped a cold sore. Idk where I got it from but I did have 2 outbreaks in a row in 08. Had to toss the lipgloss I was using. I'm glad I don't have it on my genitals or eyes. W my coldsore I'm very careful not to touch it & touch my privates or eyes. I wont expose hub to it by oral. & teach my child to not drink after me. I hate it on my lip with the scab itleaves but I hate for worse to spead it to my other regions or to anyone else. Also you can get herpes of the skin ex. fingers arms legs. Called wrestlers herpes. I was reading up again on cold sores & came across the info. Just an extra fyi for everyone.
  • I have herpes however I differ in the fact that we decided to have a c section. I got it from being lied to. Didn't have my first Breakout until I had been with my now husband only a few months. I too knew this Guy was forever when he stood by me instead of running away. He doesnt have it. I've only had one episode but don't want to take any chances. In my opinion the only people who need to know are my hubby and Ob. No one else's business.
  • U girls are very brave to talk about this! I have a frined who has aids and is pgnt. I hated that she trusted some girl at school and told her and no one even wanted to sit by her or shake her hand bitches! U can't get it like that!
  • I would never judge. I myself am lucky. My ex had sex with somebody who had herpes and he didn't tell me. I found out through a mutual friend. I don't have it, but I had to tell my bd about it. He said he wouldn't leave me. I feel for all you women who have it. It is scary, I am just very lucky.
  • The reason y my bd and i arent together is bcuz he gave me hsv1 on my genitals. I found out he gave it to his first childs mom and has had it for yrs as well. I was so upset, i wanted to die. He had lied to me the whole time, he even tried to give me some herbal medicine before i even knew it was herpes. He said his bm's friend had something similar and that cleared it up. Then it turns out he really meant his bm. He said he would pay for my medical bills/medicine, totaling $2000 since i didnt have insurance at the time but to date has only given me 175 dollars. I was so pissed off with him, everytime we talked wed jus argue. He acted like he didnt care that i wad n pain, could barely walk or even go to work. I was preg but didnt know it and miscarried dur to the stress. Got preg again 2 weeks later. I only slept with him again bcuz i felt i couldnt be with anyone else bcuz of what he gave me, but didnt plan on getting preg. After i got preg i discovered he was dating two other girls and also lying to them about his herpes status. Hes just a liar. When i found out, i told them i was preg and he gave me herpes. One of the girls, idiot, decided to stay with him. Him and i have since stopped speaking. Im 5 months, he goes to no drs appts (theyre a block away from his house) and does nothing to help me at all. Essentially hes a deadbeat and a liar. Its sad that he left me with a baby and this diseease. I am also worried how it will affect the baby but ive only had one outbreak thank god and never anymore after that.