I know you're not supposed to DIET, but...

edited June 2011 in Plus Sized Mama's
I'm wondering if it's ok to lose weight during the first trimester due to just eating healthier... I've been really struggling with my eating and have been giving it a lot of thought and prayer and am finally feeling a strong urge to give up the junk and focus on healthy, well-rounded eating. Obviously my primary goal is to provide the best environment for my little baby, but I'm also hoping to lose the 10 lbs that I gained in the past couple months... would that be a bad thing? I'm short - 5'3" and about 150 - 155 (depending on time of day). I would love to weigh 140-145 at the end of T1 and then gain about 15-20 normal pregnancy pounds from there... thoughts?

Comments

• I lost ten pounds in the first trimester. Now I'm down a total of seven pounds. I didn't diet, though. I think that I lost because I'm eating a bit better and I'm not drinking.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • As long as you are eating healthy. That's what you need to do. But don't starve yourself to loose weight. Almost everyone looses weight because of morning sickness so I think it would be ok
  • Eating healthier is a fabulous idea but I wouldn't lose weight intentionally while you're pregnant...getting a healthy amount of calories from healthier food is one thing but calories restricting while preggo is not a good idea....the three times I didn't eat regularly through the day (veggies, fruit, cheese sticks) I ended up passing out in the grocery store :( nooo fun....eat healthy but you don't want to calories restrict right now :)
  • Thanks for the thoughts, ladies! I certainly won't starve myself or restrict calories, it's just that I've been eating so poorly lately that I think eating a regular healthy diet will probably have the effect of dropping my weight some. I have literally gained 10 lbs in 2 months. :O So I'm just kind of hoping that those excess lbs go away... lol. I guess I'll just focus on the healthy eating and let whatever happens, happen! Thanks for your responses!
  • Just eat healthy instead and see what happens... Drink lots of water. U don't need to gain any weight in the first trimester but I don't think is good to actively try to lose weight... And take ur prenatals just to make sure baby is getting what it needs :) I was dieting before I.got preg just because I gained in the last year but as soon as I found out I was preg I stopped and at 13 weeks I already gained 8 lbs lol
  • I think that making a lifestyle change is actually better for baby! If you decide to eat healthier and make better eating habits, it will definitely benefit baby. A lot of plus sized women lose weight, especially in the first trimester. As long as what you are doing is a healthy positive thing and nothin dramatic, i say go girl:)
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate I think I read somewhere that alot of women actually lose weight in the 1st trimester d/t morning sickness...Did I just make that up? lol
  • I'm sure eating healthier is better than gaining tons of weight from junk food.
  • I wouldnt say eating healthier is dieting, just providing the right nutrients that your baby needs instead of junk food, therefor you will probs loose a few pounds whilst doing it
  • Thanks, all! I won't be actively trying to lose weight, but if it happens as a side effect of eating healthy - bonus! ;) Good to know though that it is ok if I lose some weight, and nothing I should be actively trying to avoid. Thanks for the input, everyone! I appreciate it!
  • you can diet while pregnant. im actually on a diet since i have high bp so my doctor put me on one. im supposed to lose 2-3lbs a week. eating three times a day, 1100 calories a day, with different servings of foods, and 30minute exercise. so its possible, just have to make sure you are doing it correctly.
  • My moms friend would loose between 80-90 know with each pregnancy cause it was the only time she actually took care of herself but she was significantly bigger then you to start
  • Im a bit over weight...i lie I'ma little less than 100lbs over weight. I lost 15lbs n my 1st tri. Between eating healthier and morning sickness. I I didn't start gaining weight till midway through the 2nd. Now I'm only 3lbs over my starting weight and I have about 11wks to go. My Dr said it was fine so I didn't stress it.
  • I lost 25 lbs last time and I'm down 14 lbs so far this time at 22 weeks. I seem to get blessed with 20 weeks of morning sickness each time, blah. But it's important not to buy into the myth that you need to eat for two. You only need a small amount of extra calories for baby and if your weight issues are caused by portion control problems (like me!) You're most likely already getting those calories. Take your prenatal, eat healthy, you can walk or swim for excerise and drink lots of water!
  • you should be fine. my doc put me on a strict diet with this pregnancy because i gained too much weight with my first baby. so im on a diet i just think maybe they mean to not take any diet pills or eat less because of not wanting to gain weight but if youre choosing to eat healthier for baby and you and you lose some weight i dont think they would be too worried about it. have you talked to your doc about it since you post this?
  • As long as you are eating healthy and getting the recommended amount of calories you should be ok, especially if you were overweight to begin with.
  • @baby2dec14yayy thank you for your thoughts! I actually have not talked to my doc about it yet... I also don't think my weight has really changed much. I've only weighed in once at the doc, so I figure I'll ask about her thoughts on weight gain for me next time when there's at least one change to reference. I go back this Thursday, so we'll see! Given the state of my boobs, I'm expecting to be up about 20 lbs. ;)
  • BTW, I had to stare at your adorable belly for a bit. I was due Dec. 13 before my mc, so I was imagining where I'd be...
  • awe hunnie im sorry :( im glad that you got one cookin in there now :) everything happens for a reason girl! when are you due now?
  • @baby2dec14yayy very true! I'm due Feb 18 :)