Babys cord?

edited June 2011 in June 2011
My daughter is 1 week old today and last night I noticed her cord stump was like half way coming off and had this strange odor to it. I dont think its infected because thete is no drainage, no redness, it just smells. Has anyone else experienced this? I didn't with my first so im wondering if its happened to any other babies on here?

Comments

• I had that happen with my son when his cord got moist (he peed on it). I just used alcohol swabs to dry it out and it resolved the issue.
  • @txmoorekat well it didnt get wet its just starting to come off...but my hospital and her doctors say not to use alcohol on it, just to keep it dry n leave it alone
  • His was almost off when it happened. Sometimes they will get a little damp from a sponge bath... My pediatrician told me to use the alcohol swabs, but not at every diaper change. Not sure what else would cause it. Maybe worth a call to a nurses line or the pediatrician? Sorry I can't be of more help.
  • @txmoorekat thanks, I will call because I wonder if they think I should clean it or leave it alone