Had to put my dog to sleep

edited June 2011 in Thirty Plus
So last week we had to put my dog down, my two year old keeps asking where the dog is. I have been very careful not to say sick, or the doctor put her to sleep cause I don't want to scare her. I told her she died and went to heaven with jesus. The hard part is my 14 yr old had been in europe for 3 weeks and will be home on tuesday not looking forward to telling him.

Comments

• It takes strong parents I had my mom and dad take the dog for me I couldn't do it.
  • I'm sorry :( its never an easy thing to do.
  • I'm going through the same thing I have to take my dog to the vets later I've been crying all morning I know its for the best don't know how to tell the kids
  • I am so sorry for you and your family. Dogs are really something special. :-S
  • I had to put my 10 year old boxer down in February. I have neighbors tell me how much they miss him greeting them at my door.
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Have you ever heard about the rainbow bridge rhyme/story? Google it if you get a chance it always brings a smile to my face.
  • Watch all dogs go to heaven with the little one. That's what we did and it seemed to help. I'm sorry hun. It's hard.
  • My hubby just put my dog down because he tried to bite my daughter. He had just started a new med the day prior and I believe thats what cause the personality change but hubby wasnt hearing it. Wouldn't even let me call a German Shepherd rescue. I was so hurt and upset. I miss him dearly. Had him 6 yrs. I do wish we could've checked with the vet and given him a chance. Our usual vet refused to put him down. She didn't feel it was justified w/o finding out why so hubby took hime elsewhere. so sad
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Firsttimemommytobe no the found a different vet to to it. He was gonna shoot him that night but I stopped him. I honestly think if he would've we would've had a physical altercation. Plus our daughter didn't want him to hurt the dog. She thinks he went to be a security dog on a farm.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I just put my dog down too on Wed :( she was 14yrs old and wasn't eating, drinking, was running a fever and would go to the bathroom om herself.
  • So sorry ladies. Some people can't understand how heartbreaking it is. @Eeyore how did ur son handle it?
  • @carley he cried, asked questions took a few days but he knew it was for the best