question about early arrivals...

edited July 2011 in Premature Babies
I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant and on strict bedrest due to preterm labor episodes. (I've had 3, the most recent being july 3 n 4th) imy dr doesn't think ill make it to full term and is giving me til 36 weeks if I don't already have her. My question is what should I expect if I hve her earlier than 36 weeks? Will she have health problems? How long will she b in nicu? My dr said I should get mentally prepared and we will b talking about it in more detail at future visits.

Comments

• I don't exactly have any info, but I'd like to know more about this, too, so I'm gonna bump it to the top! :)
  • I had my daughter at 34 weeks. She was 4.6lbs...dropped after birth of course. She was in nicu about 3 weeks. Till she got over 5 lbs n could eat well on her own. At first she was tube feed. And on monitors . And once she could pass car seat test n all that good stuff she got to come home n it was just like any other baby just smaller more fragile seeming but she did great n u would never know now she was a preemie. But every baby n situation is different. Good luck with ur lil one hopefully will stay in a little longer.
  • I had a 30 week baby. He only needed apnea monitors to remind him to breathe. They are all different though.
  • @urmomwasright did se have any health problems, besides needing tube feeding? What was it like when she got to go home? Did u have any difficulties? Thank u, I'm hoping she holds on for awhile longer. According to dr she's only 2 lbs. And measuring small :( @doodles wow that's good? When did u get to bring ur little one home?
  • My second child was born @32wks he was 4lbs 9 oz at birth he was on iv fluids and breathing machine for 1day after that he was in nicu a wk and came home now he's a rotten 5 year old
  • No not at all. Just at hospital she had to be on that apnea monitor for breathing. And at first tube feeding. Said at first she had heart murmur but it went away. Just felt like I had Tp be more careful with her then her older brothers. But she was fine . Now she is a rough tough 2 year old princess tomboy lol. I think my insurance got billed 28,000+ for her stay..so glad I had insurance ;-) n great drs n hospital nicu ;-) . It is so scary at first but it will all work out. I'm here if u wanna talk
  • @jazzi89 he came home after five weeks. He had to reach five pounds before being released.
  • I had my girl at 30 weeks 5 days. She was on oxygen 2 days. She stayed in nicu 4 and half weeks. She has no health problems. Just small. She was 3 lbs 1oz at birth. Now at 9 weeks she is 5 lbs 9 oz. Im breastfeeding and she gets bottles when im a work. She seems to startle easily. Has a hard time getting into a deep sleep. Preemies don't have the iron stores of a full term. I have to give her liquid iron drops twice a day. I've never had a baby so I don't have an experience to compare it to. Not sure if its more work or not.
  • Had my first @ 35.5 bc of preaclampsia....he was 8lbs 11oz was in nicu for 1day 1/2 due to "grunting" while breathing...perfectly fine tho.....my daughter was csection too at 36wks and iin nicu for 5 days bc of breathing and jaundice....she was 6lbs 11oz... came home perfectly healthy after that. This one will prob be 36 wks too bc of b/p and gestational diabetes.... they don't really consider babies preemies from 36 wks on....good luck!! =)
  • thank u for sharing! I'm 30 weeks and 4 days right now and dr isn't looking positive. That's great that she has no health probs besides needing iron drops. Was ur little girl measuring avrage? I'm measuring small so I'm kindof worried about having her early
  • its hard to tell some do farely well and some dont..
  • @blessedmommyof3 thanks! I hope she can hold on until 36 weeks. I don't have any health issues besides the preterm labor episodes. I'm on bedrest right now.
  • She measured right on target the whole time. When did they last measure your baby? Your baby should be right around 3 lbs now.
  • They measured her 2 weeks ago and she was barely 2 lbs. And my dr still thinks she's behind
  • Don't stress about it. At 28 weeks they should measure 2.25 lbs. Those measurements can be off by a few ounces. That's only a couple of ounces less. Im sure she has grown some since then. When are they doing another ultrasound?
  • I was supposed to have one today but my dr got called to delivry right after checkin her hb. I have to schedule for next week. And hopefully they r off on her weight
  • When I had my last u/s with my son they told me he was barely 6lbs.....2 days later when I had him he was 8lbs 11oz so they can be off for sure on weight with u/s.
  • @jazzi89 My son was born at 27 weeks and he was 2lbs 7oz. I am pregnant with number 2 only 15 weeks and already strict bedrest. How are you doing?

@mamma2be11_4_11 Why are you on bedrest? How many weeks have you been there?
  • @mama2be11_4_11 dont give up on her! I have become friends with another momma on here that you may need to talk to. She is also in the hospital with leaking fluid and has been since the end of June. Where are you? I have seen 24 or 25 week babies make it. That is crazy they will not try to save her!
  • @jerseymommy....see if you can get to to talk to @mama2be11_4_11.
  • Here's a link to a web page by march of dimes on premature babies.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/baby/premature_indepth.html
  • @mama2be11_4_11 I am in bedrest due to incompetant cervix. I had to have a cerclage and my cervix only measures 13 mm
  • @mama2be11_4_11 I am sure she will be fine! Gods power is so much stronger than any medicine. I will be praying for you!
  • @mama2be11_4_11 I promise to in the morning. Just laid down and bd has to get up at 630. Gonna try to sleep but I will check on you in the am
  • @mama2be11_4_11 we should def do that! hopefully your little ones stays put for a couple more weeks. my little girl is still weighing small according to my dr but i guess they could b wrong. my number is 920-645-4153 if you wanna talk. @Babynewyear2012 ive also been on bedrest on and off since 12 weeks. its awful. hopefully all of our little ones can wait a little longer and come healthy :) you r welcome to txt me too if you want
  • edited July 2011
    @jazzi89 i know how you feel i was put on modified bedrest at 22weeks because i was having contractions and they saw i had a low cervix it was thinner then where it should be for 22 weeks.. then monday night i was in L&D because i was going into preterm labor .. i was having contractions and they couldnt stop them not an IV or me emptying my bladder or the TERB shots but i wasnt really progressing i was 40% effaced and my cervix was no longer closed but they could only fit a finger in im 30w1d now and they put me on strict bedrest as well .. (my mother and grandmother werent able to hold full term either my mom had the four of us at 28w,30w,32w,35w) .. i have to go in today to get my cervix checked again

Keep Your Head Up and Good Luck praying for both of us
  • @ahendricks09 thank you. hopefully all goes well for both of us :) hopefully your little one cooks a little longer. ur only about a week and a half behind me
  • @jazzi89 your welcome chica. and yes i pray so.. and every week we hit is a huge milestones
  • yes im thankful for everyweek. i havent been in l and d since the fourth and that makes me happy. although i am on meds for contractions that is fine with me as long as she stays put for a little longer
  • I had my.daughtr at 35 weeks & she was 7.3 thank God no problems just.jaundice...im worried tho I am 24 weeks & already have had episodes of preterm labor....