3weeks in nicu today (long vent)

edited August 2011 in Premature Babies
As the days drag on I dont know how much longer I can do this. I hate that I have to leave my baby in someone elses care. I know its the best for her to be there. But it doesnt make it any eaiser.
I also have a year and a half year old. Which makes it so much harder to go see my little one.
Mariana was born at 33 weeks. She was 4lbs 8oz. She is doing better everyday. However she still has apnic/ bradycardic episodes. Its the most painful thing in the world to be holding your baby and watch her turn blue in your arms. How can I keep doing this everyday????? I watch other babies in the NICU go home. Many are the same "age" as Mari. Its just really hard to watch her struggle everyday.

Comments

• I'm so sorry hun, I can't imagine how hard that must be. Praying Mari gets better and can go home soon.
  • hang in there!!! praying you can take her home soon and your burdens are lifted!!
  • Do they have her on Aminophylin not sure if that is the way it is speeled. It us a medicine to stimulate her not to have apnea spells.
  • im so sorry! I don't have any advice but i will keep you all in my prayers!
  • Im sorry hun, my son was in the nicu too an I lived an hour away an cried everytime I had to leave him. Ill keep u an ur lil one in my prayers.
  • One way to think of it is this is just a speed bump in the rest of your lives pretty soon Mari will be crawling, walking, talking- going to her first day of school. When that time comes you will think back with a tear in you eye that it was just yesterday you were holding her in the NICU and how small she was. Keep your chin up and know this will all be over soon. God knows our babies grow to way to fast. I have always said you don't realize how fast time goes till you watch a child grow!
  • Hello I'm 34wks and I almost delivered yesterday due to baby heart rate being irregular. I wasn't really told why and not sure what it could be wrong I understand how you feel as I was signing papers in case they needed to rush n do c section I wanted to break down from the thought of going home w/o my precious baby. I'm glad your princess is getting stronger and I pray to God that u get to take her home soon!
  • Praying for you mama! I hope your little one gets stronger every seccond
  • @babynewyear2012 she is on caffeine not sure what the offical name is. She is also on something for acid reflux. Her "episodes" are getting worse with every feeding rather than better. They keep telling us its normal preemie behavior..i get that but it should be getting better not worse. She now needs oxygen everytime she goes apnic.
  • @hot2cold87 glad to hear you didnt end up delivering. If you can hang on just one more week it makes a world of a diffrence as far as development goes. I wish you all the luck in the world with your little one. Its never fun hearing there may be something wrong. Please keep me poseted as to how you progress!
  • @upnorthmom If she has had a growth spurt lately she could be out growing her dose on that medicine. That is the one I ask about. Believe it or not you can ask her doctor to order a theophyline level if it is not a theraputic dose it will not work. The same thing happened to justin and I called his doctor and ask fir it and sure enough they had to increase it. He was also on the medicine for reflux. That will also make apnea worse. It is so scary when those spells happen! I pray she improves soon! Hang in there I promise it gets better.
  • Hang in there hun it will get better I just bought my lil one home on the 26th she was born @33wks5days and stayed 3 wks she was also having bradys @ each feeding which had me in tears but they do grow out of it.My lo started getting better closer to 37wks.I'll keep u in my prayers.
  • @babynewyear2012 they just checked.her levels this am...and they are spot on for her...i guess. But thats good to know I will keep making them.check!
    @engie2ndbaby glad to hear you lo is home safe and sound. Also hearing your time frame gives me.hope (i know everybaby is diffrent) but it does make me feel better.thanks.
  • So sorry u r dealing with this bless her heart hang in there and pray she will b home soon
  • @upnorthmom Thanks n I will hopefully ill learn more tomorrow with the cardiologist all u can do is pray and let God work!