He chokes on his spit

edited August 2011 in Premature Babies
when he chokes he forgets to breath and I have to pat his back and sometimes blow in his face. Going to call peditrican tomorrow and see about getting a monitor to help keep on eye on him. Anyone one else have their preemie do this to them, it scares the crap out of me.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • my preemie son would do that all the time, and also while eating he would forget to breath and turn blue within seconds. i didn't sleep the whole first month he was home. i was scarrd he would stop breathing in his sleep. but as they get older it gets better. just keep a close eye on him its a very scary reality. good luck mama
  • My son is doing the samething. He's 7 weeks old and he wasn't a preemie. I noticed the first couple of weeks that he would stop breathing for ten seconds then he would resume breathing normally. I asked his Dr if it was normal and she immediately sent him to the hospital to get checked. He suffers from reflux and they sent him home with a monitor. He still does that sometimes but he never turns blue or anything like that. When I'm feeding him he still chokes or forgets to breath and I do the same as you. Pat his back and blow on his face but its scary everytime it happens :(
  • @lourdes26us1 what type of monitor did they send you home with? I hope they do the same for us, the doc my other kid see is on vac. So I hope I get someone in the office that listens to me the way he does.
  • He also bleches like a grown man. I mean they are loud people look at me like I burped and don't believe that it was the baby.
  • Its just a monitor that let's you know if the baby stops breathing for more than 20 seconds or if the babys pulse goes up it will beep really loud.
  • I have an appointment at 11:30 yes just found out the doc that I like is back in town, so hopefully he listens to me @lourdes26us1 when she sent you to the hospital what did they do?
  • Yea my doc rocks he explained that he thought.that we would.be okay with out monitor but listed to my oppinion and said he would tell the insurance to gives us one if anyone lives near sugarland tx and needs a good.baby doc let me know
  • What I remember (since I was admitted to the hospital too for gall bladder removal the same day they hospitalized my baby). They did xrays on his chest for the acid reflux and the next day they gave him a drink and did a scan to see how much reflux came up. They had him with an iv and they just monitored him for 48 hours. That's all I can remember.
  • Thanks so much for your time and info.
  • Is it when he's sleeping or all through out the day? I would really ask for that machine. Try laying him on his side to sleep so he won't choke at night.
  • @jcmommy both, and I will try the side sleeping also
  • I thought that it was my lil girls milk she holds some n her mouth I suction but don't always get it all n when she's laying down she starts to choke imma ask my ped if that's what it could b but she's already on an oxygen moniter b/c they sent her home on oxygen also if anyone knows will they take the moniter when she gets off oxygen jw
  • My son does that. More often when he was first born. He is 3 weeks. I was told its normal. :/ it scares me every time
  • @mommy2bof_1 it may just be that since she was so premature that she is still trying to master the whole swallow correctly thing. Be yes bring it up to doc.and see.what they say
  • @eeyore alright thanks I will