Depression help. Please read.

edited August 2011 in Premature Babies
I had my little girl by emergency c section two weeks ago. She was only 28 weeks.
She's doing absolutely amazing in the NICU and already being fed small amounts of breast milk.
Although I know I should be happy, I think I'm slowly hitting rock bottom. The hospital she's at is an hour away, which makes it impossible to see her everyday. I can feel depression setting in, and I know its not only hurting me, but my bf/bd as well. How do I keep it from getting to me? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• it sounds like you are just sad and dealing with hormones and the fact that you cant get to your baby right away, like we all expect to. i would give it maybe another week, unless your symptoms change, and then call your doc and inquire about ppd. it's very common for parents of premie's to feel depressed and helpless
  • Just stay as active and busy as you can, keep your mind busy that seems to help a whole lot! Glad your baby is doing well!
  • I know exactly how you feel firsthand. I had my son when I was just 25wks+2days on Aug 8 and he's still in the nicu. A lot of preemie moms go through an emotional rollercoaster while their child is in the nicu, I know I sure go through it from time to time (even when he's doing good) I would have to agree with @survivormommie3 and give it a week or so and see if anything changes, if not, then call the doc and get something to help treat your symptoms. Good luck mama and congrats on your curious babygirl =)
  • They should have a Ronald McDonald house close to the hospital. If this is an option for you it is not expensive and it is a wonderfull program for nicu parents. My son was born at 27 weeks 12 years ago so if you need to just talk I will help you any way I can.
  • First of all, accept the fact that there is no way to keep it from getting to you. You may very well experience the symptoms of ppd, the BEST thing you can do for yourself and your little one is to talk to your docs about your feelings IMMEDIATELY. What youre feeling is really really common and there are things you can do to get help through it. It's going to be ok, you WILL pull through but do not make yourself feel like you have to do it alone.. don't even try to do it alone. Reach out, be honest, doctors take this stuff very seriously.
  • I have suffered and am suffering from postnatal depression and the best advice I can give is talk to you doctor about it they will be able to help also make sure you have a good support system you have been through so much and now not being able to see baby everyday I understand I just spent 2 weeks in hospital and only saw my baby every other day sometimes longer for about an hour tops. You are doing so well and remember you don't need to cope alone people can help so much just having someone to have a cuppa with and chat can make a huge difference. Don't ever feel like you can't talk to people about this as it something so many new mums go through having a baby is hard work physically and emotionally and having a premature baby is a hard thing to go through. Huge hugs to you Xxx
  • Thank you
    @survivormommie3
    @mgrose
    @tiff87124
    @15Nov_Babe
    @Babynewyear2012
    @lilbun915
    @tammy

I really appreciate all of your words of encouragement and advice
  • My nephew was born extremely early and weight 1lb and a few oz. The hospital was about 45 minutes away, and he was in there for about 6 months. The best advice I can give, is to rely on people that are willing to help. Be open with how you feel, and know that this is only temporary!
  • @Babynewyear2012
    They don't have one here, just cheaper rates for hotel rooms. My parents live there, but we're only able to stay with them on the weekends. Plus my mom isn't exactly the best person ever and makes this whole situation so much harder.
  • edited August 2011
    Call up to the hospital often to ease your mind...take lots of pics while your there so you can look at them while at home. Write in a journal :) go have lunch with hubby/friend just to get out and keep your mind from going a million miles a hr. I'm sure it's tough but try to be strong mama and know that your baby will be hm soon.
  • @tiff87124
    I delivered on August 18th
  • @tiff87124
    What was your original due date?
  • I had Ava 9 weeks early. I got so depressed and overwhelmed I had to start wellbutrin. It has worked wonders for me. She is now 4 months old. I feel so much better. Still taking it.