Dental Work plus Tricare Advice PLEASE

edited September 2011 in Second Trimester
I'm 23 weeks and 3 days. Well, I'm either going to need a root canal, or have the tooth pulled. As well as several cavities filled in. I would wait until after pregnancy, but I'm scared of the infection getting to the baby. I had a root canal like 3 yeras ago, and it really hurt. I got the shots for pain medicine, which werent entriely effective.

So, the questions are, has anyone had either done during pregnancy? And what medication did they give you?

Next, I have tricare dental but havent used it yet. I checked out their site and it says they only pay like 40 or 60 percent. But my hubby says they should cover everything.

Help? :)

Comments

• I have never had work done while pregnant but your best bet would be to call an oral surgeon office..they would be able to tell you how much is covered and if its advisable while pregnant. Good luck sweetie!
  • edited September 2011
    @ashley_smashley Yeah lol I'm going to call tomorrow to find places that accept tricare... I'm just scared of everything! I reallly want them to put me under general anesthesia but thats probably not safe! Thanks for the advice!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah I have the card, I think my husband set it up and we have an allotment through his paycheck. So for the wisdom teeth, is that with insurance?! :'( OMG thats s expensive! I hope we can set up a plan.... How do I find out about the payment plan!
  • @USMCwifemommy101107 do I just call the number on my dental card? lol I really suck at this stuff
  • Thank you!!!!!!!
  • You should definitely just call and ask them. When I had all 4 wisdom teeth cut out, it cost me $900. I think tricare paid around $1500. (My husband is an e-5. He was e-4 when they first told me I had to get them cut out. He was deployed and wanted me to wait til he got home. Well, he got promoted before he got home, so it ended up costing us more lol).
    My friend had to have dental work done in her 3rd trimester. She had to have permission from her ob before the dentist would do it. I know she had to get several fillings, some that were pretty bad. I know she was in a lot of pain, but she only took tylenol and just suffered through the pain.
  • I need stuff done on my teeth, but I'm waiting till afterwards... about united concordia, they have paid 60% on major stuff, 80% on fillings and 100% on cleanings.
  • Thanks for all the help and advice ladies!!! I wish I could wait for the root canal, but I was supposed to get it like 3 or 4 years ago when I was 15, but my parents couldnt afford it. Now its gotten to the point where my jaw always hurts and I'm scared its infected and I've heard thats bad for babies!!!!
  • @CynthiaY I thought I only paid 20% when I had fillings, but I couldn't remember. They pay for 2 cleanings a year and 1 set of x-rays per year.

@USMCwifenommy101107 my oral surgeon sent united concordia a letter with an estimate of the costs and they sent me a copy showing me how much they would cover and how much I would have to pay. Are you having them pulled or cut out? If you're having them cut out, tricare may pay part of it too because it's surgery. I didn't have medical insurance at the time, just dental. The receptionist told me that most peoples medical insurance paid more than their dental did.
  • Really the higher the rank ur husband is the more u have to pay. My husband. is a E6 and its been over a yr since my last dental work. That's bull tricare should cover it. Idk why they don't! Now I don't want to go to the dentist now :( plus making payments and having a 12 wk old is going to be a hassel
  • Yeah that's the way it is. I guess they figure if you're higher ranked then you make more so you can afford to pay more.
  • edited September 2011
    @armywife0529 that's what I said, they pay 80% you pay 20%...
    And yes the higher the rank the more you pay... and this rule applies to everything! Good luck with your dental work :-)
  • Remember to check with your ob first before getting any work done. I went in a few weeks ago just for a cleaning and was told id need a release from my doctor and that they wouldn't do any work until after I had the baby. Good luck though! Getting teeth pulled is no fun.
  • Yeah my dental appointment, cleaning and xray, is this monday :'( and then I have an appointment with my OB on the 20th, so I figured it would work out time wise! :) But, do I set up a payment plan for what the insurance doesnt pay through tricare or through the dental place? This is my first time having to pay big for medical reasons, and my pregnancy brain doesnt process information good lol