Gestational Diabetes Sucks!!!

Im 37w4d and have been diagnosed with GD since I was 28wks. I have been put on medication bcuz diet alone wasnt working. My baby on wednesday was measuring 9lbs! Im having an amnio done on Monday to see if his lungs are matured and Im very nervous. Ill be 38wks. If his lungs are matured they will induce me. Im hoping to have a vaginal birth & I cant wait till hes here so I can eat normally again. I miss having ice cream & cookies.. Anyone else have GD??

Comments

• I totally agree it sucks! I'm 37w5d I have luckily been able to control it by diet but I'm so worried my lil girl is going to be too big to be delivered vaginal. I had an ultrasound at 34w4d and she was 6lb4oz and my next ultrasound isn't till the 16th.
  • I don't have it (knock on wood). But I hope your little guys lungs are mature so you can have him soon! I hope you can have a vaginal birth too. C secionc scare me :(
  • At least after you have your baby you can have ice cream and cookies again. I was diabetic before I got preggo. Found out almost exactly a year before actually. Anyways... I still have those things, but only if they are sugar free. They aren't bad, but I miss the sugary yumminess hehe I hope you can have him soon and then enjoy a bowl of ice cream for me hehe
  • I totally agree!! I hate taking my dang blood 4 times a day! It's so tidious. I'd rather take the medicine once a day. I'm 34 weeks (had GD since 28 weeks).. I had a growth scan at 32 weeks, I don't remember how big she was (prego brain). I go next Tuesday to find out how big she is now... I'm guessing pretty darn big by just feeling her. I'm afraid I'll have to have a csection because of her size.. but I think I'd be okay with that.
  • @stillsurprised Omg I feel for you! I cant imagine having diabetes all the time. My dad does & I feel for him too.
    I hate poking myself 4 times a day too, it was scary at first but not that bad now. I just wish I could have my cereal in the mornings.
  • I am 36+4 and will get amino fluid taken on Monday also to see if his lungs will be mature enough to induce me that night... i have type 1 and take shots all the time... he is 7lbs and 6 ounces... I really really hope his lungs are mature and that he will be a healthy baby and not have problems like keeping his sugars up cuz of me.. I also can't wait to just take care of my diabetes for myself without worrying about hurting himvor anything
  • @1stwoodsbaby I am also afraid of having a csec. My dr has been telling me I might have to have one. Ive had 3 vag births already so im more comfortable with that. I know sometimes the ultrasounds are wrong with the weight so Im hoping he isnt that big
  • I have type 2 diabetes & had to go on insulin during my pregnancy to control my blood sugar. I hate checking my sugars 4 times a day and injecting insulin twice a day. But i have to say that since taking the insulin i have been able to have some sweets that i wasnt able to before. Im getting induced on 9/13, so its almost over. Dr thinks my baby is 7lbs 8 oz & actually due date is 9/13.
  • @CorinnaNicole Well I hope you get your vaginal birth that you are wanting. This is my 1st pregnancy.. and I'm a planner so I think I'd be more comfortable knowing an induction date and the csection process. The many unknowns of a vaginal birth make me nervous. Are you okay with them inducing and taking baby early if his lungs are mature and ready?
  • @ariels1stbaby I hope your results show that his lungs are mature too. I feel like my baby will do better outside the womb then inside. My fluids on Tuesday were measuring a lil bit above normal too but the u/s tech said I shouldnt really worry about that. I just cant wait to get some answers on Monday or on Wednesday when I get the results. Good luck to us both on Monday :)
  • @2ndtimearound you are almost there!!! :)

• @CorinnaNicole thanks and ya my fluids are way above what they should be. I hope everthing goes well for u too! :)
  • @1stwoodsbaby yes I am ok with me inducing me although I am a lil scared cuz ive never been induced before. I just hope he comes out ok. Ive had a baby in the passed that had a heart defect & passed away at 2mos, and ive been reading all the risks that can happen when a mother has gest diabetes. I had a fetal echo last week but still dont know the results to that. I will probably have my baby before they even give me the results
  • @Chelsea_firstbaby Are your doctors concerned about how big she will be at your next scan?? 6lbs4oz is pretty big at 34 weeks.. Are they talking about inducing you early?
  • @CorinnaNicole I'm sorry about your previous child. I will keep you in my thoughts the next few weeks and will be keeping my fingers crossed for a healthy delivery and baby! I had no idea of some of the issues that come along with GD.. I always just thought the only side effect was having a large baby... not some of the other ones I've found out. It is pretty scary & serious.
  • yea I thought the same..
  • @sophiasmom11 i had a small baby silly :) Ryleigh was only 5.14
  • I was just diagnosed...I'll be 31 weeks tomorrow. I'm not digging the finger pricks and the diet...I'm not a huge sweets person but I love my carbs lol. So far baby Livy is measuring exactly to her due date so I hope she just stays on track. When did you baby start getting really big?
  • @sophiasmom11 im on alot just dont comment a whole bunch. i just now figured out u changed ur name on me.. l0l! . this past week has been a little rough. she had a cold and than had her 2 month shots (i cried) and than today we noticed she has thrush.. she was doing so good until all of this. she had a schedule and was sleeping so good.. :-((
    how are you coming along?
    oh and the dr told me im pre-diabetic :(
  • @sophiasmom11 I done the 2hr test and thats when she told me i was pre-diabetic. I have to see if I still have insurance before I can get it taken care of.. who would have ever thought my skinny ass would b diabetic.. ughh, damn family! ..
    have they scheduled u for an induction yet?
  • @sophiasmom11 my induction was GREAT. I felt a total of three contractions and had my epid at 2-3cm. my epid was soooo good :) I never felt any pressure or anything. they had to turn my epid off because I couldnt feel where I was pushing.. I was scared to get induced because of all the crazy stories I heard but mine wasnt bad at all.
  • @sophiasmom Not trying to scare you but I had a small baby 6yrs ago. Im not sure if I had gest diabetes tho, I didnt pass the 1st glucose test but they never told me I passed the 2nd. I did however take my blood sugar anyways at home at they were really high. I didnt treat myself like I had diabetes cuz my drs never said anything. My dr now thinks I probably did have gest diabetes and they never caught it and they werent controlled and is probably why my daiughter was born with a heart defect. She was born 4lbs 8oz at 39wks. They had no idea that my baby was going to have a heart defect and only found out I was going to have a small baby 2 days before I delivered. I think I was not properly checked at my prenatal appts. I saw a different dr every visit.
  • @redhead25 I think my baby started measuring big at 24weeks, it couldve been sooner i dont remember. Hes been measuring 2wks ahead. Ill be 38wks monday so im meassuring 40wks already :-ss
  • @sophiasmom11 Well thats good :) Unfortunately my daughter passed away at 2mos. She had surgery when she was 2wks & came home 2wks after surgery but passed away at home. :( I miss my angel baby.. O:)
  • i do and it freaking sucks im on insulin and some days its still a little high i think this is my only downside of pregnancy everything else was great im glad and i hope this is only temporary i would hate to have actual diabetes