Extra needy baby

edited September 2011 in Ages & Stages
Why does my one month old baby seem to all of a sudden seem more needy than before? It seems I can't do anything anymore without at least touching him. And how do I fix it? I go back to work the end of next week. I really would like to just brush my teeth!!!

Comments

• He also seems to fight sleep
  • I had that with my daughter too. I've had to slowly let her get used to being put down so I can do stuff. Start off by putting him somewhere where he can be entertained for a short while like under a mobile. He may cry, but hell be okay for a few minutes. Maybe leave him there for two minutes, then go soothe him. And slowly increase how long he's there alone.
    You can also try a sling or snugglie to carry him around in.

My daughter also fights sleep so we swaddle her (we use this thing with velcro to keep her arms down) take her to her room with a low right, have soothing music on, and either rock or bounce her and she eventually falls asleep. It's best if you can do it before they get too worked up about being tired. But consistency is key. Don't give up after only a few minutes of him crying. Keep rocking or swaying and he will eventually settle down.
  • Thanks. All good refreshers. This is my 4th baby. Guess I forgot how this works.
  • aww.. mabey he sences your distance.. or that your going to not be around.. so hes clinging.. poor baby..
  • My dr told me normal for fussiness to peak 4-6 weeks old too. My son did..he's 7 weeks now n much happier
  • My daughter is a month old and she is super fussy lately, she normally never cries. I hope it gets over with soon! I can't do anything without her wanting to be held.
  • momma, is cuz bby is more alert! and is exploring his surrounding! Dont worry about the mess at home, enjoying bby now, and get some mommy, bby time with him!
    It will get worse!! My 3mnth old is awake alot during the day, but sleeps from 9pm-630am.
  • I read a book the happyest baby on the block. It says that baby's act that way because they are still getting use to being outside mom & that they feel that even being held only 20 hrs is less than they were inside mom. Dunno if it's true, but it made sense after my oldest son.