baby walkers?

edited November 2011 in Walking
Ive read that they arent safe and dont promote walking. How many of you are going to use/ or are using one?

Comments

• I am for sure going to. I believe it helps them to learn.
  • I want one just b/c it helps them move around I figured my baby would get in less stuff strolling around in a walker than crawling but idk ftm ...
  • I will be using one, its baby jail for crawling babies lol...I think it help but baby also needs to crawl & learn to pull up on things jmo
  • I wish I could but our carpet is to thick.
    I'm not sure if it promotes walking, but it keeps them entertained and they get to go around bumping into furniture and keeping themselves amused for a bit lol.
    But like @MissQ_1stTimeMommy2B said, baby still needs to crawl around and learn how to pull up and get strength in their body that way, walkers can make them lazy since they aren't supporting their weight and don't learn how to balance with them.
  • @littlefae they have stationary activity centers that look like walkers, but have a floor to them.
  • @varoline8_p I know I got one for isaac for christmas. I just wish I could use the ones that move. They are fun
  • I never understand how if there are warnings against them people still use them :-<
  • @littlefae what about in the kitchen? Or garage/driveway if you have one? Unless its too cold, lol.
  • @ExcitedForOctober - because the warnings or for those who don't use common sense like "block the stairs if you have them because yes your kid will roll and fall down the stairs" people stuck them in their walkers and left them thinking the walker was the perfect baby sitter when no, your kid still needs to be supervised. Just like bumbos and people. sticking them on top of counters and tables and walking away when it clearly says on that warning not to do it.

@caroline8_p no drive way I'm renting a town home, plus its winter in Minnesota lol, kitchen is to small and the garage is covered in oil from who ever used it last. Oh well, stationairy it is! Hahaha I can't wait for him to be big enough to play in it.
  • I learned that yea it will help teach your baby to walk but once you take it away your baby has to learn how to walk seeing their feet cause when they learned to walk with the Walker they can't see their feet , so it actually takes them longer to learn how to walk if you use a Walker instead of letting them learn themselves . My friend used one & her baby didn't learn until 14 months , I didn't use one and my baby started walking at 8 months .
  • how old is a good age to start?
  • I have an excersaucer and love it. No walker here
  • Well my parents used them with all of us. @excitedforoctober thats what i said if you guys google baby walkers you'll see a bunch of new warnings about accidents like falling down the stairs flipping over stuff like that. But if supervises they should be fine im planning on getting my girl one shes only 3 mo so idk either im with you @naliibby2.
  • I'm not going to use one. On Canada they are banned. I was reading the same thing as to what @soon2bmommiof2 said, it may make babies a bit longer to learn how to walk on their own. I'm buying my Lo a jumoeroo which is very similar to rye exersaucer.