legal question

edited December 2011 in USA moms
Is it legal for my employers to take my breaks so I can pump? My two 15 minute breaks and lunch?

Comments

• what state are you in? in most states they CANNOT keep you from a pumping break which should be 2 15's and your lunch
  • edited December 2011
    and yes they have to provide you with a private area not the bathroom otherwise its a fine for them (in my state anyway!) 26 employees or more*
  • edited December 2011
    someone mentioned in a thread it was illegal to nurse in public in Washington but i live in oregon and its legal here and i always heard it was legal there too...that link says its legal :) it didnt sound right because the NW has the highest breastfeeding rates in the country
  • lol sorry my random thought
  • when I go back to work I have to pump in a bathroom.. :( &guess what I work at a DAYCARE withchildren 6w -5 year old and there is NO mothers room to pump not even a place to change a diaper
  • oh no @moodymommie how is that even possible :( poor you
  • I know its incredible for a place for children wouldnt have a room for bf. I work for the marine corps & it just amazes me how little they support bf bcuz god forbid a soldier stays close to there child &bonds thru bf, nobody supports it. & our center is open from 6am-6pm and many of my infants stay from open to close :( sorry mini vent
  • @samantha I think it is sadly when I go back they are using my breaks exceot ill get an extra because of my pumping schedule but only to pum my lunch & 15 min will all b pumping idk when im gonna eat:/
  • it passed in 2009 its illegal to ticket a breast-feeding mother. Or one pumping in Washington state. I live in Washington as well. I don't mind pumping on my breaks but if I have to pump early they want to take my breaks. I'm sure its legal I'm just trying to increase my supply and if I'm engorged I would like to be able to pump and I'm worried my supply will decrease if I'm unable to pump when needed.
  • I live in washington too and I just looked up the law and it states it is legal to breast feed in ANY public place. I don't understand why a cop at the fair told you you couldn't @August22baby
  • That cop was prolly misinformed a lot of people still think its illegal. I had to look it up to make sure my employers would allow me to pump. I just wish every time I was engorged I was able too pump since its about every hour an a half. By the time 3 hours comes I'm in pain lol. Oh well.