i need help

edited December 2011 in Single moms
I am 18 and I have a 3 month old baby. Her 'dad' was there when she was born and only about 2 weeks after she was born.
He has not helped me with the baby since, he says he has the right to see the baby becuase he is the dad, but he has not helped with milk, and onl,y bought my baby a box of diapers when she was born. He sad he is going to take me to court , what can happen. he is a voilate person who punches the walls and he even broke his hand when i was pregnant. His parents always wanted a DNA test when i was pregnant.
what can i do ! i dont want my daughter near dirty people. :( i really need some advice

Comments

• You file for custody before he even gets the chance. Bring up his violent issues with the court & if he demands visitation make sure it is supervised. Wish I had more advice. :/
  • Not much help because im in Australia, laws are different here... Bump...
  • Get there before he does and have a lawyer...
  • Is his name on the birth certificate??
  • Where are you from BC if you all aren't together any more mom always takes first dibs so to speak in custody if you all aren't living together. If your scared of him get a protection order on him. He has to file for court ordered visitation. Are you getting child support? If you want a DNA test child support will do them for you. But if he signed the birth cert. You may have some trouble getting one. My suggestions to you is get a protection order on him for your self and daughter and document everything!!!!! Contact your local bar association for a attorney also and see if you can find an attorney to do a probono case for you. Attorneys have to do probono cases every so often in order to keep there license up. I've been through this one to many times and I am now helping other mother's in this kind of situation as well BC I've been through so much.. I wish you luck hun.
  • Ya for sure go before he does. I asked for supervised visitation because he didn't know my lil lady and if he didn't complete the phases he had to start all over. But also you may be able to get a protective order against him for his violence if u are afraid of him. With that, u are building a case against him before he gets a chance to get u. And, if there is a child support order in place, he has to follow the rules of visitation which will be outlined at the time of the agreement.
  • @momofSOONtobe7 um no he does not give me child support .
  • momma_tiffay thank you so much !
    thanks to everyone and your support
  • Why don't you file for it!!! Get what you can out of him. You also can go to the court house and file papers yourself for custody. But again I recommend a protection order! Does he have a record? I know here in Ohio a single mother has priority and the mother doesn't have to let the father see the child unless there's court ordered visitation.
  • @momofSOONtobe7 No he has nothing ! I really need to go .
  • I have a similar issue w my bd. If he's violent w anger issues like mine he probably said he'll take u to court to scare u but don't take it lightly either. Beat him to the punch. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!