any tips on potty training?

edited February 2012 in Potty Training
My son is two, it seemed so much easier to train my daughter. He does say potty and takes off his diaper but usually is wet. He has gone poo poo on the potty but no consistently. His daycare is helping too but it seems to be he goes then wants to sit on the potty. I usually remind him or put him on when I go to get him used to it. Any ideas?

Comments

• I would just keep putting him on regularly and give lots of praise when he does go. He still has to learn to act on the feeling of needing to go, rather than the feeling of being already wet so I wouldn't say he is quite ready but it shouldn't be long. Maybe given him a sticker or something when he goes as a reward! And when you decide to make the transition to pants, go for it, don't keep switching as this will confuse him. Good luck!
  • Definitely reward him. Have him pee on Cheerios and make a game out of it lol. Try putting him in regular underwear for a few hours a day too. Don't get mad when he goes in them, ignore it and just praise the potty time whether he goes or not. :)
  • @littlenat86 @Bahamamama4828 thx so much I'll def try both...I don't think he is fully ready either. But letting him use just underwear for s bit around the house will help. I know he def doesn't like the wet feeling.
  • We started pull ups with my son when he was two and he was just like your saying. We just kept reminding him and taking him all the time and ignored the accidents and told him good job when he went. It got to the point where he would always poop in the potty everyday and only peed in the pull up and then about three months after that he started peeing all the time in the potty. It was a few days after his third birthday and he would pee in the pull up and it would leak right through. I was done and said we are wearing big boy under wear and we only go on the potty. We never looked back and neither did he, the first day we had maybe two accidents and after a couple days he was fully potty trained and never went in bed either, he always got up out of his sleep. I fully believe that timing is everything, if they are not ready then wait, but at the same time you cant wait until they know and just dont care bc then they will like diapers.
  • I never used pull ups. They are too much like diapers! I didn't want her to think it was ok to wet or poo in them so I went straight to big girl undies when she showed interest! There were a couple accidents but she got it pretty fast! :)
  • Yea I do agree with @bigbelly I think if we would have made the switch to big boy undies earlier he would of been fine. I don't think we will use pull ups with our second. I will teach him about the potty in diapers and when I feel he is ready we will make the switch.
  • Try a time to remind him to sit on the potty every half hour for a minute or until he is done. He might love setting his own time and if you have the money he can pick out his own novelty timer. You can also print out free customizable potty charts and he can place reward stickers, draw a smile face or use a stamper when he does good.