Which is better Breastfeeding or the Breast Pump method?

edited February 2012 in Second Trimester
Just curious and please explain why...

Comments

• Breastfeeding because a pump cannot perfectly mimic a nursing baby. The baby has the ability to nurse more milk than a pump can pump.
  • Really I always thought that the breastfeeding method was way better but was unsure.
  • Breast feeding.
    Babies do a better job than a pump, alot of women don't respond to pumping. Most pumpers quit early because its exhausting. And/ or unable to keep up with baby.
    Babies nurse on demand instead of scheduling times to pump.
    Its easier than getting a pumped bottle and warming up when out and about.
    Nursing soothes baby.
    Its harder to feel the "happy hormones" when pumping.
  • I'd say breastfeeding. My little moster seems to be a little quicker then the pump an I don't have to wash anything after. Pumping is nice but I really only pumped when my LO was a month old hes now almost 6 months.
  • Breast feed... If you pump its like doing the work of bottle feeding and breastfeeding, you have to pump it, store it, heat up, feed, wash everything and start again. Breastfeeding you just get it out and pop on the baby... Like already mentioned pumping also cannot drain your breast the way a baby can and unless you work hard at it eventually supply drops
  • edited February 2012
    @aishamusa I said breastfeeding... ?
  • @Bahamamama4828 what if baby doesnt take breast?
  • @misskristen I was commenting about the pump not working as well as baby to breast but I agree with you
  • @aishamusa A mother & baby can work at it to find what works for them, but if the baby cannot bf for medical reasons, pumping is always an option. Like the other ladies said, pumping is a commitment in itself and not nearly as enjoyable as bfing.
  • The way a baby has issues with breast feeding is if the hospital gave a bottle-there has never been anything proven to give a bottle. Colostrum is all that is needed. If you had pain meds, baby might become lazy or sleepy.
  • Oh yes and medical issues.
  • Also depends on you :) i'm a student so at night I will bf and during the day pump so my dh can bottlefeed while im gone or busy :)
    The commitment is a big thing too! You can be successful with pumping if you're willing to go the extra mile for it :)
    I'm a ftm and I know I wont take no for an answer lol my baby will have breastmilk rather than formula
  • @victoriarenee does the pump thing hurt when your trying to get milk out?
  • edited February 2012
    Ive been pumping since day 1 BC my baby wont latch on & she will b five months on the 27th :) she latches on sometimes whenever she wants, I wont her... either way she gets my bm. With every sitting I pump til im dry. It gets exhausting but I get up & pump BC thats what my baby needs its worth it :)

Oh, everyday I get about 40oz of milk or more ;)
  • @nylasmommy is a great exclusive pumping example lol :)
  • I do both...I work so I pump at work and breatfeed whem im at home. Id much rather just breatfeed but I cant, It is hard and a commitment but I feel bfing is much healthier so anything for my lil princess!!!
  • Bf because pumping doesn't give u that bond and ur supply goes down...my son never latched so I had to pump but I never made enough milk to exclusively pump then it got to b too routine