Hip dysplasia update at bottom!

I took my little one for her 4 month check up and we noticed that one of her legs looked a little shorter than the other. So her ped sent her for xrays of her hips and they found out that she might have hip dysplasia in her left hip. We're waiting on a call from a orthopedic pediatrician to set up an appointment with them. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience with their kids having some kind of hoping dysplasia.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Did you swaddle your little one when she was smaller?
  • Nope not at all, I had low fluid with her and I read that it could cause it I guess..
  • It's also common in first born daughters. Hope everything is okay!
  • I've heard of that happening in large breed dogs but not in kids. How strange, hope she's ok.
  • My husband was born with that and dislocated hips he had To wear the orthopedic shoes when he was a baby. Today he is 27 years old and you wouldnt even know .,its never kept him back. He does have lower back pain and im sure that has something To do with it. I hope everything works out for you.guys
  • My husband had it as a child. He had to wear a cast on both legs then leg braces. He also had it in both hips. The doctors told his mom he would be able to run or play sports. Well in high school he played football and now he is active duty military. He also runs 2-4 miles a day. You can only tell when he wears himself out and really i can only tell and close family. He limps a little when hes tired due to one leg being a 1/2 inch shorter than the other. But hes normal!
  • Thank you guys for your input! We go see the orthopedic pediatrician on the 5th, they said she would be most likely put in braces right away that day....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If you need an advice or someone to talk to im here. Also my mil would give you any info you want.
  • I wash both with hip dysplasia in both hips, and my mother never bothered to get it fixed. It didn't cause any pain till i was around 18. It die cause me to have trouble with my ankles and knees cause of one leg being longer. Now i have tone of pain in my hips and lower back if i sit or stand or lay for more than about 45 minutes at a time. And my dr satisfy i will probly have to have a csection because of my hips. I am saying all this to let you know it isn't painful as a child but you def want to get it fixed asap. Sorry for rambling on. Good luck let us know what the dr says.
  • Hi everyone! Just wanted to update everyone on how her appointment went... He left hip is completely dislocated and her right hip was very slightly starting to pull out of the socket. The doctor gave us the option of putting her in a pavlik harness for 2 weeks or schedule her for surgery to cut the tendon in her goin. The doctor said he gave the harness a less than 5% chance of working. We chose to put her in the harness first the two weeks to try and avoid the surgery if at all possible, we will go back sometime next week so she can have another ultrasound to see if the harness is working. I am praying to God that there is some progress when we go back next week. Any prayers would be much appreciated!!