Question about Medicaid

edited February 2012 in Second Trimester
This time I give birth I want to do it naturally. No drugs, no pitocin, no hospital. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever went to a birth center and they accepted Medicaid? There's a birth center down the street from me , and as much as I'd like to have my old midwife back, I'm not willing to wait for over 2 hours in a waiting room with a ton of people to see her for 15 mins, and then not know if she's going to be the one delivering my baby. I emailed the place I'm looking into to see if they accept medicaid, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Did you have to pay anything out of pocket if you went to a birth center with medicaid? Or was it all covered?

Comments

• I wanted a birthing center but they didn't take medicaid
  • I want to say birthing centers do not accept medicaid, but you can definitely call around to find out.

I wanted that too, but medicaid wouldn't cover it.
  • I think some might accept they're just hard to find.
  • It wouldn't hurt to call and ask. There's a midwife in my city who does home births and she accepts Medicaid.
  • Ours did 100%.
  • @mmy21nttc what state do you live in? I know there is one that DOES accept medicaid, but it's about a 30min drive...down the street is much more convenient
  • in oregon birth centers take medicaid
  • @bahamamama4828 thats great :) I actually just found one since I'm so impatient, and lots of the birth centers in South Florida will only take patients paying cash..which is kinda dumb. Though now that I've found where I want to go my boyfriend doesn't want me to give birth there...he wants me to go to the hospital! :(
  • @Nova did the birth center you go to do a gender ultrasound, and then an anatomy scan?
  • @Nova that's good to know! I haven't had an ultrasound yet, so I'm wondering if they'll do an ultrasound when I go there to just find out how far along I am, than going off of when my last period was..but I wasn't sure about when I had it..so the due date was "estimated" off my bad memory!
  • @Nova did you labor in water and give birth on a bed? I'm looking into a water birth since I didn't like being on my back giving birth, but had no other choice at the hospital. I'm sure a birth center is more of a welcoming setting than the hospital.

And congrats on your lo! That's such a big baby!
  • Birth center is such a great option! They generally don't make you labor on your back and have the lowest c section rates since they can't intervene. :)
  • Errrr transfer to a hospital is really low I mean