sleeping pills while pregnant?

edited March 2012 in Second Trimester
For the last year I have takin Ambien on and off to help me get to sleep. When I got pregnant I didn't take it until now. I am having such a problem sleeping. My dr has told me it is ok to take but wondering if there is anyone else who has takin it while pregnant or what you did to help you sleep. I tried not taking it and I sleep for 2 hours then wake up at 3am and am up for hours then fall asleep lol so I have been taking half an ambien since I hit the 2nd tri. It helps me sleep just as much as a whole one. Also if there is any natural sleep aids I'd love to hear about them. I do not want to take any medicine I dont have to but I cant sleep! :(

Comments

• I used to take Benadryl when I needed it
  • Unisom is OK as well
  • I have tried unison and it drags me down in the morning like I am super tired still. I like Ambien it makes me feel refreshed in the morning like I got good sleep. I have never tried Benadryl. I wanna find some natural ways to help me sleep.
  • You should try Benadryl, you can get the Walmart brand or target brand for like $4 for 100 capsules. Natural ways to help....get lots of exercise throughout the day and read before bed rather than watch TV. Stop doing whatever it is your doing when you start to feel drowsy. But if that doesn't work, have some medicine as a back up plan lol
  • I'm not currently pregnant but I also have a hard time sleeping and need to drink chamomile tea every night. Maybe try that.
  • Just don't take melatonin pills. They are nice and natural when not pregnant but are class c i believe for preggos
  • You can take tylenol pm as well. I had horrible insomnia during my 2nd trimester. It helped.
  • edited March 2012
    @stillsurprised Tylenol pm is just Tylenol with Benadryl in it....most over the counter sleeping pills main ingredient is Benadryl. But the Tylenol pm is not so great of an idea. Taking Tylenol when you're not in pain is bad for your kidney.
  • @mom2ING I'm in my third tri with 5 weeks or less left and I have to take benedryl on a nightly basis also! I have horrible RLS that would keep me up all night otherwise
  • Yeah Benadryl is safe for sure
  • I was addicted to Tylenol pm in my 3rd trimester. Seriously couldnt sleep without it. Non habit forming my ass!
  • my doctor gave me ambien he said tylenol m was not good for pregnant women
  • edited March 2012
    I got the ok from my high risk ob while I was preg, I was not comfortable taking a sleeping pill like ambien. Plus i didn't take out every night .I am diabetic,.so I have to be careful with the meds I take...and as far as I know its your liver that they worry about with tylenol if you take too much. But I am fine, my organs are fine and my daughter is perfect so too each their own I guess. Good luck to you.