Synthetic DHA, Hexane baby formula

Interesting article about synthetic DHA in baby formula... I ran across this while researching baby formula since my supply dropped...

http://www.naturalnews.com/027437_DHA_baby_formula.html

"The primary distinction is that the form of DHA/ARA being used in infant formula is structurally incompatible with the form found in human milk."

"Martek Biosciences Corporation, the company who produces synthetic DHA/ARA, extracts the oils from laboratory-grown fermented algae and fungus using hexane, a demonstrated neurotoxic chemical. Identified as a hazardous air pollutant by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), hexane resides in the same category as other serious toxins that are linked to causing cancer and other serious health problems.

Developed primarily as a marketing tool, Martek's 1996 DHA/ARA investment promotional material states that even if the additive had no demonstrable benefit, it would nevertheless allow manufacturers to market their formulas as being the "closest to human milk". Formula manufacturers quickly jumped on the bandwagon despite definitive evidence proving the additive's safety."

Not worth it!

Comments

• I knew this for a few years, even the cows milk with the added DHA is yucko!
  • Ya agreed! It's pretty scary! It's also disgusting that they only add it to the can market it as lose to breast milk..
  • I laugh at any company or anyone that says formula is close to breastmilk. Some of the ingredients in it are very dangerous!
  • Agreed ^^ but some moms don't realize...and that's what the formula manufacturers ate hopeing for!
  • edited May 2012
    It just makes me sad because formula shouldn't have become what it has today. It wasnt intended to. How were babies fed prior to the late 1800's when formula was created?

We are becoming a world of disease and health problems :( Steroid induced foods, corn, etc. Smh...

...as I eat my processed ramen. ;)

@ashley_smashley

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My daughter was formula fed and had numerous colds, ear infections etc. My son has been breastfed and has only been sick once- right after his vaccinations. @homebirthadvocate

Not to mention the more serious health problems that have been proven to acquire as they get older.
  • Ewwww! I hate formula!!! Its disgusting all around. Stains everything, it stinks, and is just icky!
  • @mom2ing putting formula moms down was not my intention. As I stated I formula feed part of each day as well. I have been told by many women that formula was just as good as breast milk..so while we on this forum know that is t the case some women don't know. The point of the article was to give a heads up about the hexane info. This was info that I found interesting while doing my own research when decideing on a specific formula.
  • @mom2ing I am sorry you are having a hard time lately..again sorry if you thought I was bashing ...
  • I totally agree w u @mom2ing, we are all aware that breastmilk is best. It only states it right in front of the formula container;) Its always the same ppl posting this stuff I-)
  • Wow you guys took my posting this waaaay out of context smh.. I just wanted to share interesting info about hexane..info I found while doing my own research into which formula I wanted to give my baby...I found a brand that didn't use hexane..so I thought I would let other formula moms know...there was no ill will ment... @juliansmommy
  • edited May 2012
    What does it matter? I don't understand why one would be upset about an informative post? There are many people that are unaware of this information, and many reading this forum that can't post. It's really nothing to get sent up in arms about.

I only wish more American women were educated about the hazards of certain ingredients in formula. I, like @ashley_smashley, have to use formula at times as well. That doesn't mean I ignore the research.

Thanks for the post!
  • I heard about the hexane extraction in regard to the dha prenatal supplements I took while preggo with my firstborn (on days I didn't eat salmon). Scary stuff. I'm not sure if it is used to extract DHA from fish oil too (as opposed to the supplements from algae)...maybe @bahamamama4828 knows...?
  • Aww this makes me sad because I formula feed laila. I give her liquid similac advance and it does say on the can "closest to breastmilk" which I know is bs. My baby hasnt got sick but I did breastfeed for the first weeks she was born.
    I hope it doesnt affect her :(
  • I'm gonna try to find that formula.

@HomeBirthAdvocate General question, do they sell goats milk at whole food stores?
  • @ashley_smashley which brand of formula are you using? I breastfeed but at times supplement with formula I tried searching online right now but can't seem to find a formula without the dha additive. Thanks so much for the info!!
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate I had no idea you were here in SoCal! I'm going to look for it. What are the usual prices?
  • I wanna get the powder. I have no problem mixing it. :D Thank you!
  • @fate if you have a sunflower market they sell it there as well.

@mckenzie23 I use Babies Only Organic lactose free.. They dont use hexane to get the DHA...There have been some arsenic fears when it comes to the brown rice syrup..but I havent found anything concrete on that. i am going to look into making my own with goats milk.
  • @lolasbabynum1 I am sure she will be fine! Cant worry about things you cant go back and change.

@captivated No problem! ;-)
  • Dont know what the fuss was about. I formula feed and absolutely hate formula. But i dont have any other choice than to give formula. But if i had a choice...it would always be to breastfeed.
  • My first was ff with the dha stuff, oh yea, he was always sick!
    there is always homemade formula recipe from Weston A Price foundation
  • @mimii36 same.
    I was instructed not to bf due to my disability and medications. however, had it not been for that, i would have from day one. i even stopped my meds (to my detriment) to try and reestablish a supply for Evie, but it didnt work out. i formula fed both my kids, the ten year old has always been sickly, but so far, Evie hasnt had so much as a sniffle, and shes going on 6 months, so i honestly dont think theres always a correlation to be found. you cant protect your children from the world unfortunately. even the air they breathe is contaminated, and from the moment they enter this world, they are going to be subject to all sorts of chemicals, additives and the like. Still, no harm in knowing the facts!