Baby wearing mamas

I am in desperate need of a new carrier. The one I currently have is of poor quality and kills my neck. So I ask: which carrier do you use, do you like it and why?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My LO is 9.5 months, 20.3 lbs and 28 inches and I an still comfortable with my BABYBJÖRN. Its on the pricy side but well with the money if you use it frequently.
  • Ergo!!!! Baby can be worn on you front, back or side, you can nurse baby in it, and I've gone on two hour hikes with my then 10,month old in it and felt NO back or shoulder pain! I love these so much I'd become a salesman for them lol. I used the moby/sleepy wrap when ny babies were younger but they outgrow it and the bjorn hurts my back bigtime.
  • I just got a becco butterfly for my birthday, and i love it!! It doesnt hurt my back, and Ollie loves to sleep in it!! It can also be worn front or back.
  • I failed to say that the babybjorn I have has a back support and I only wear it in front. It has never hurt my back.
  • Thanks ladies. These all seem promising. I'm particularly interested in the ergo. I do have to ask your thoughts on forward facing. I recently read it's not such a great idea. I never knew it wasn't "okay". Do any of you carry your babies facing out?
  • I have a hot sling that was wondefull when my daughter was small. She is 9 months and she can sit in it on my hip. If I don't put it on carefully it does pull on my neck.
  • I have the pikkolo baby carrier and I love it. I'm actually wearing my baby now as I type lol were doing laundry. Anyway go to catbirdbaby.com to read about it... But what I like about it is that I can wear her facing out and she loves it! She is getting k
  • edited May 2012
    Getting pretty heavy but there's a piece that I gotta buy that's like a support belt that I read takes most the weight off. It's a soft structured carrier...and it's easy to use.
  • I have a baby k'tan I replaced my moby with - it's a wrap without all the wrapping and tying, easy to put on, doubles as a nursing cover, easy one-sided sling or two shoulder wrap. Love! I also got a snugli front and back carrier to wear him on my back for long walks and while I work. I own a cleaning company and take him with me to work. No back pain! Plus he loves riding and being a part of everything I do. :-)
  • I have a Maya ring sling and love it for running errands. I can easily pop her in and out and wear her tummy to tummy, hip carry, kangaroo, and even on my back in a rub. I also have a girasol woven that I can do sooo many carries with. It's awesome! She 20 lbs now and both carrier and wrap will be used well into toddlerhood.
  • Baby bjorn! I have two. Love love love them. Hands free, my daughter loves it, fwd facing. As long as you keep your body posture erect and core muscles engaged, your lower back is spared!
  • This is what we have. I love it! My lo loves being in it and he has a blast being 'high' on my hubby's back!! I know its not a carrier though.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Transit-Child-Carrier-Black/dp/B005F5LYRS/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1336270101&sr=1-3
  • i have a beco too! i just got it! i LOVE it!
  • @bahamamama4828 which print did you get? I got the Travis one (with the tiger on the front )
  • I have the Beco Butterfly 2 and Babyhawk Mei Tai and love them both.

Youll want to stay away from bjorns, and ones like them. They are considered.crotch danglers and are bad for babies hips and spines and your back.

Youll want a carrier that supports knee to kmee on your baby.

Here are some of the popular good brands.
    They are all soft structured buckle carriers, though Babyhawk also has the Mei Tai which is very comfy

Ergo (though at this point I would avoid it since your lo will be outgrowing it soon)

Beco (though I would personally skip on the Gemini because it is quickly outgrown as well)

Babyhawk

Boba
  • I love my mei tai. And I agree with @littlefae stay away from the baby bjorn and anything where there legs hang down because of baby's hips, my daughter has hip dysplasia and her orthopedic surgeon said any carrier that keeps them in the frog position is the best position for their hips!
  • @LittleFae the ergo can be used for 40-50 pound toddlers

@dragonzo523 no they aren't supposed to face out, its bad for their spine and they can get overstimulated. You can't forward face in the ergo
  • Thank you all so much. Looks like I have lots of research to do. :)
  • @MichelleBelle yes it can but its often out grown length wise before weight limit is reached because the back is short and the length from knee to knee gets out grown as well.

Where as carriers like Boba and Babyhawk ohsnap and other "toddler" approved packs have longer and wider bodies to carrier on into toddler hood.

So longer babies do often grow out of the ergo and others because they stop propperly supporting the child seat and back wise, even if they can support their weight.
  • @LittleFae huh, I learned something new today :) my 11 month old is fine in it now, I'll be careful now as he gets older and make sure he can't fall
  • @MichelleBelle I was thinking the same thing when I got my Beco. It holds up to 40lbs and I thought sweet I can use this until he's two or so. But it wasn't until hanging out and talking with other babycarrying mommas that I learned about the length part. :)
  • edited May 2012
    Who knew there was so much to consider when choosing a good carrier. I'm torn between the ergo and the beco. :/