Making a list of must need before baby comes. Could use some help!

edited May 2012 in Equipment & Supplies
I only have 3 months left so I wanna start getting prepared for baby. I could use some help on must needs! I am a first time mom and I am making a list of what we need before baby comes. This is what it looks like so far.

1. BASSINET or PACK & PLAY/BASSINET- I will be sharing a room with baby so I need something small for now. Should i get a bassinet or a pack and play bassinet combo? I have seen some pack and plays that come with a changing table as well.

2. SWING- is it worth getting?

3. CAR SEAT/STROLLER- combined one maybe?

4. BOTTLES & PACIFIERS- I think I want to try breastfeeding but I want to pump as well so daddy can feed her too. What type of bottles should I go for? Also do I need to get some type of pacifiers?

5. DIAPERS- what is the best brand?

6. STORAGE CONTAINERS- I dont have too much room but any ideas for storing clothes and baby stuff?

7. BABY TUB- BABY SHAMPOO, LOTION.

I cant think of anything else right now. I would love anyone's input! Also what type of stuff should I register for for my baby shower? Do I wait to buy all this till after I see how it goes? Its not till August. :)

Comments

• Swing is definitely worth it.

A bassinet/pack n play combo is better than a bassinet because once baby begins to turn over, you don't want to have them in the bassinet any longer.

:)
  • @captivated Thanks! Yeah I was leaning towards a pack and play. I seen one that included a changing table that I really liked! I already found a swing I wanted too lol.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Baby tub wasn't really worth it better to just put them in the tub or the sink but that's just my opinion. I would just do the pack and play. I breastfeed and use the Playtex drop in bottles and haven't had any issue with nipple confusion and my son is 10 months old.
  • Check others registries that'll help you get an idea what to register for! But definately wait til after the shower. Stocking up on diapers never hurts! Don't forget wipes!! I got a travel system (car away stroller combo).
    I have avent, dr browns, & platex airvent bottles. I bought some at a garage sale. Because you never know baby may not take the type you get! We got a swing... I'm considering returning it and maybe getting one of the smaller ones. Register for different types of pacis!
    do a breastfeeding class! I just did 2 weeks ago & it was very informing! learned alot! especially waiting atleast 4 weeks before introducing a bottle. Good luck!
  • Oh diapers- I like pampers for nb & sz 1. Then I plan to do up & up target brand when he is in sz 2! My favorite wipes are up & up!
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate Thank you for your input! So if I breastfeed I won't be able to bottle feed for 6 weeks? I am not exactly sure what I wanna do yet.. :/ I am going to a breastfeeding class in July so hopefully it helps me figure it out. So no bath tub you think? I won't be bathing her in the sink I am a germaphobe lol. Could I just bath her in the tub with nothing in it? I feel like I am gonna have no idea what I am doing. I dont wanna do anything wrong lol. What is a double jogging?
  • I'm a FTM and my answers are based on my experiences and preferences.

1. Definitely the Pack N' Play combo. Get one that comes with newborn bedding so that you can transition as baby grows. Avoid the changing table on the PN'P, you'll regret it. The bassinet its nice, but baby outgrows it so fast.

2. I hardly used the swing, but I know many mommas here love them. It is the battery operated nanny. :D

3. Carseat & stroller combo - the best investment I made!

4. I breastfeed and used the Dr. Brown bottles with no problems (introduced after 6 weeks). My LO was never a binkie baby, but does play with the Avent pacifiers.

5. Because breastfed baby poo is runny, I found that Pampers Swaddlers were the best by far. They've never leaked through to this day.

6. I purchased a 5 drawer dresser with deep drawers, holds tons of stuff.

7. I use Aveeno baby wash -- Love it!

Misc... Breast pads, lansinoh ointment for breasts, boppy, I have drawn a blank.

Oooh, take advantage of sleep now!!
  • @IsaiasCruzJuly11 when did you introduce a bottle to him? I know close to zero about what I am doing when it comes to baby and bottles and breastfeeding :/ I think I am gonna go for the pack and play combo.

@BabyLuv8 yeah I plan on taking a breastfeeding class cuz I dont know what I am doing lol. I have heard target brand diapers are good! I totally forgot about wipes!
  • @Mijita Thank you for your input! Pack & play it is! This may sound dumb but what is a boppy? Lol
  • @rjr33, it is recommended to not introduce until 6 weeks, however, I did it at two. I wouldn't advise much earlier than that. You need to establish your supply. If you skip a night feeding so BD can feed baby and you don't pump, it will have a HUGE effect on your supply. Anytime baby gets a bottle, you need to be pumping. Unless it's been months and you have a very well established supply. Even then, don't do that too often. :)

A boppy is a pillow that curves around your belly to lay baby on to feed. It's nice and all, but with each of my children I never used it for more than a couple weeks. A regular pillow worked fine and was much cheaper.
  • He was 4 weeks old but he got the hang of nursing right away. I would wait at least that long and if your baby takes a little longer that's fine no rush. And don't worry your going to know what to do when your baby comes. I was like that to but got the hang of it. As for the bath I had taken my son a bath in the tub just like that only but a little bit of water. You will do just fine
  • It's a pillow that wraps around the belly to support baby while breastfeeding. Definitely do the breastfeeding class as well as a location of breastfeeding support groups, they are lifesavers!

I loved my baby tub, it came with a newborn mesh and fit perfectly in kitchen sink. They have nice ones at Target.
  • edited May 2012
    A boppy will be your best friend!! It's a breastfeeding pillow. I've also used it for a million other things lol and at 9 months my daughter still uses it.
  • NEVER get newborn of anything specially diapers Cause they grow out of them so quickly maybe buy a couple pares of clothes cause at the most she or he will be in newborns for only a week add on diaper weight so more then likely if your babies a newborn size once you diaper the baby and clother her the newborn clothing would be too tight clothes sizes 3month and up to 9months for advance cause like I said they will grow fast. I prepared for her up to 9months so all I need to worry about is the occasional diapers and wipes.

Best best is to start off with a size 1 diapers dont overload on diapers until you know her size :)

Everygthing else is perfect, if your due in the fall or near approaching winter buy blankets :) the car seat and stroller together is your best bet its expensive but deffinitely worth it!!! Again check to see how many pounds it goes up too, and make sure the car seat and stroller are easy to manover easy to fold up and easy to put together.

Good luck oh and a baby tub will be useful for the beginning :D

• I wouldn't say NEVER buy newborn. My daughter was born 5 wks early and wore newborn clothes and diapers for over a month. Buy a little of each size, only wash one or 2 outfits and save reciepts. Every baby is different.
  • I pumped every two hours 4 the first two months no baby on breast at all. Everyone had me so afraid that if I slept 5 hours my supply was going to drop, Because of that I almost quit bf. You can sleep through the night once (not every night but once a wk will do wonders) in a while you will be engorged but you will not lose your milk. I started getting so tired that my vision would black out. About two - two and a half months my guy started taking the breast and has traded his binki for it.

Pack in play is a must if u travel anywhere and don't co sleep.

I had 2 swings one in living room and one in kitchen.

I like a full size high chair that reclines about 4 months u can sit them in it with some small toys and actually get something done. Aj loves to beat his bowls and spoons on it.

U really don't need fancy toys I founf out babies prefer simple stuff the can grab easily. No one told me that I have a lot if crap that he is just starting to show interest in and AJ will b 7 months on the 3.

We never used a baby bath.

If you will be going to docs apt by urself I would get a combo car seat and stroller. I had to do all that stuff alone and a 15 lb baby in a 15 -20 lb carrier was a b****. On the other hand my baby out grew his carrier by 5 months so that is up to u. Just paper work diaper bags and carrier r a lot by urself.

Boppy was is awesome.

A lot of the stuff I thought was priced way 2 high i went to once upon a child. Payed about a third of retail price. But you would have to be willing to scrub and disinfect. I buy stuff like the jumper new because he will but parts of that in his mouth.
  • @homebirthadvocate. Lol my son could fit newborn in body for about a month, but the cloths would not go over his head lok.
  • I disagree wotj not buying newborn stuff. I had ringing buy more my daughter wore them till about 4-5 months.
  • Clothing size really depends on the baby my son was out of three month by the time he was two months. He is almost 7 now and 9 months r getting tight. If having a boy and ur hubby is big mine is six one i would start at 3 months or 0-3. I bought 0-3 and he didn't even where all of them. I sent my husband to the store while i was in the hospital lol.
  • Buy a small pack or 2 of newborn size diapers, but don't open them and keep the receipt. Stock up on size 1s though..I my son went through 2 boxes of 240ish diapers in the first month! Get lots of 0-3 month onsies since you won't want to wash and put away 2 different things at each change. The Gerber onesies run smaller, but fit my son from birth until he was 2-3 months and he was 8.15 lbs Swings are great especially one that plugs in the wall..life saver! Boppys are great since you plan to breastfeed, and you're not supposed to introduce pacifiers/bottles until 6 Weeks or breastfeeding is well established to avoid nipple confusion.

Nipple cream, breast pads, comfortable shirts that you can easily breastfeed in.

The combo stroller/carseat isn't worth it, they are so huge, I ended up getting a jogging stroller instead..much easier to push and maneuver.
  • @captivated so I could feel breastfeeding out for 2 weeks and then maybe introduce a bottle but id have to pump every feeding? I am very new to this. I am hoping the breastfeeding class will help me.

@HomeBirthAdvocate oh yeah I was thinking about a moby wrap too!

@Mijita I think I will just go ahead and get the baby bath tub. It might make it easier for me till I get the hang of and comfortable about bath time.

@starxoxo9 I just googled a boppy I think I wanna get one! It looks like I'd be able to use it for other stuff other than just breastfeeding.

@AishaMusa I plan on getting a couple newborn outfits and 0-3 months and just keep the receipts. I was 8 pounds so who knows how big she'll be lol.

@candy101 so baby was fed right off the bottle with breast milk? I just am not sure if I wanna breastfeed. I want my baby to have all the nutrition of course but I also really want daddy to be able to feed her too. You have to pump every two hours or your supply will dry up? I need to go to my breastfeeding class. I just hope they aren't all forcing breastfeeding down my throat. I just need information lol.
  • You totally will! My daughter is using hers as a pillow while she drinks her bottle as we speak lol
  • They will try to force it when you feel your baby needs food if it comes to that point tell them it's not for debate. AJ was jaundice which I know is okay to a point but when he was head butting me over and over and his pee turned orange I got a bottle. I know they say a baby can go 72 hours without food but listening to your baby scream is not easy when you know a bottle is what they need. Pumping is very hard to get the supply in I rented a hospital grade pump for a month. After I started going 3-4 hours I went from an ounce or two to 5-6 ounces the stress and lack of sleep kept my supply down. Not to mention the pump parts I got 12 sets so that I only had to wash once a day. I was happy when I got a latch I do not recommend eping if it can be avoided. WE ended up doing half and half AJ is 6.5 months and had a cough one time. The lc told me every 2 hours with one 5 hour break overnight. Just don’t let anyone push you until you get depressed.
  • From my experience with my baby

1. BASSINET or PACK & PLAY/BASSINET- Pack & Play w/ bassinet because you can use the pack & play LONG after you would be able to use just a bassinet

2. SWING- my baby LOVED the swing and actually sleeps in it A LOT. She will sleep like 10 hours in that thing so we figure-why mess with that?? LOL! Every baby is different though. She has the fisher price snugabunny

3. CAR SEAT/STROLLER- combined one maybe-would be just fine, also, most car seats fit into any stroller

4. BOTTLES & PACIFIERS-I had like 3 different kinds of bottles which was a waste and ended up returning most of them, don't go overboard. We use Dr. Browns. Also, don't go overboard on pacifiers. I had heard to buy a few different kinds because you don't know what your baby will like. Well, my baby didn't want a pacifier so we didn't need any. Also, you can take some from the hospital when you go home. Just don't open any of them & wash them until you KNOW she will take one.

5. DIAPERS-personal preference, I like the Pampers swaddlers with the wetness indicator, especially with a newborn so you can see if they are wet or not. My baby is 6 months old now & I've just discovered that I really like LUVS, they seem so soft & comfortable and are a lot cheaper than pampers.

6. STORAGE CONTAINERS-I started using the old empty diaper case boxes for clothes that baby has outgrown. The storage tubs get expensive. I just keep an empty case in her closet and as soon as she outgrows something I throw it in.

7. BABY TUB- BABY SHAMPOO, LOTION. - also make sure you have a baby finger nail clipper, you will use it often!

• Aquifer for her bum. It is way better than ANY diaper cream out there. I use breastflow bottles you can get them on Amazon. Like others said just get a starter kit because you may change. I went over board with Playtex drop ins and didn't use them. I like pampers the best. I used a Co sleeper arms reach but I didn't use my pack and play until now- seven months- and it had a bassinet.and changing table. I never used my boppy but I know many who do. I have a Maya ring sling which I love. I use my glider and swing all the time! I had a fussy baby and sometimes it was the only thing that worked. I have a snugabunny too. I like the infant tub with mesh for when she was tiny. She wore newborn clothes and diapers for a month, every baby is different with that. I would buy I package of cloth diapers for spit up clothes. I would also get a package of grananimals waterproof clothes. I put them on the changing pad so if it gets dirty I can throw them in the wash. You can also use them as a portable changing pad. I also put them in her bassinet so if her diaper leaked I just had to change that in the middle of the night. You will need some kind of bag use as a diaper bag but it doesn't have to be a diaper bag.
  • Not sure if anyone mentioned a bouncer seat? W all of my kids it saved the day for me... Only way i could shower. Just carried the seat into the bathroom and placed them in it. That way baby is in sight.