how early can you start potty training?

Whats the best potty chair for a boy?

Comments

• How old is your LO?
  • 10 months but he hates wet diapers and pulls them off. @mijita
  • I was potty trained at 13 months, my sister by 12. My mom said they need to be walking first.
  • Whenever they show interest!
  • edited May 2012
    I was going to say 10 months is too early, but some kids are ready earlier than others.

There are some potty chairs that applaud or make some kind of ruckus when they are done going potty. You may look into those.

Although your LO shows signs he may be ready, watch for his cues of distress. If he gets agitated, cries or fights you at the potty, you need to stop and reassess his readiness. If you force him when he's not ready you can actually cause regression in that area. Most babies start becoming ready at about 1.5 years; some sooner, some later. This is because cognitive development matures and they begin to understand the relation between the urge to go and where to release that urge.

Don't get discouraged if he is not ready, he may simply hate being wet and is letting you know his uncomfortable nature in the diaper and may not be ready for the potty.

Good luck!! Ill be watching his progress on FB.
  • Were gonna give it a chance :)
  • How long can he go with a dry diaper? Boys in general take longer to be ready than girls. Also if you try to push it before they're ready they can regress and stay in diapers longer. Maybe keep him in a onesie with snaps or pants, that way he can't pull it off. I personally think 10 months is way to soon. My daughter is 11 months and her diaper is definitely not dry long enough. Good luck.
  • Oh and to answer your question about the chair, I used one that goes over the regular toilet. I recommend those, that way you don't have to train twice.
  • Actually you can do potty training from birth. Its called elimination communication. A midwife friend of mine would put a potty chair under her baby when he nursed and then he would poop or pee and she would say good job you peed! or something along those lines. He would wake up to poop/pee/nurse at night..its really cool! Her kids were potty trained by 1
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • there is a book called diaper free baby that teaches you to potty train them like @bahamamama4828 is talking about
  • @bahamamomma4828 @homebirthadovate thats what im doing now but starting late lol. Ive read alot about it. Were giving him little candies when he does it tho as a good job :) he just did it on the first try only took 2 mins
  • oh cool! its a bit too much work for me lol
  • Lol
    @bahamamama4828 well im at home with him all day so not that big of a deal.
  • @homebirthadvocate i did that anf my husband made fun of me lol