are you or do you know any military nurses

edited May 2012 in Military moms
I'm trying to see if they have to go through all that crazy stuff that all the others do like go away for all those Weeks at the beginning

Comments

• A contracted civilian nurse? No. An active duty nurse, yes.
  • How can you become a contracted civilian nurse...just apply at a military hospital @captivated
  • If you mean you are trying to become a nurse through the military and you are wondering if you have to do basic training...the answer is yes. I cant really tell what youre asking but i think thats it.
  • @Mimii36 yea that's pretty much what i'm asking lol
  • Well yea I think that in order for you to be a nurse in the military then you have to do basic training. Maybe you can just become a nurse and apply at a military hospital. Idk about that tho.
  • edited May 2012
    Civilian is applying to work at a military hospital. You will be paid by a gs scale. The va hospital I am looking into is gs-5 starting off which is equal to an e-5 pay.

If you want to be a nurse in the navy, you have to be an officer. Have a bachelors degree and then enlist. There are officers programs where you will be paid to go to school. You will have to go away, deploy etc etc. Rotating sea and shore duty. You are active duty just like anyone else.
  • @captivated do you have personal experience? I was looking into nursing a little bit. Hubby is army. I don't want to become a soldier, just have a contract. I don't want to be deployed. I'd hate for hubby and I to deploy at the same time.
  • I was in the Navy, but I have quite a few friends in as corpsman and one as a nurse. I am applying to work as a nurse at the VA Hospital. If you don't want to join the military, then you would need to go to nursing school, get your license and apply to work in military installations. However, they do hire prior military as priority over civilians with no military experience. It's still possible though! @leggs2011
  • Ok thanks hun :) fort hood was building a new VA hospital. We'll be back there this fall. Its worth a shot maybe. Still need to decide if I want to go into nursing.