Is it necessary to go for prenatal classes?

edited March 2011 in July 2011
Hi ladies, is there a difference between attending and not attending?

Comments

• I didn't go and my 1st pregnancy, labor, delivery, post-preg all went fine. Both of my sisters went but they never told me if it helped or not. One did say the lady scared the crap out of her with all the "this and that could happen" though. Sorry I can't be of more help...
  • yeah was thinking my imagination could be running wild if there is TMI.... i thought of gg the old fashion way like you did.... ;-)
  • Yeah just read up on it a little so you know the lingo and basics, I'm sure you'll be fine, usually the labor nurses are really helpful and communicate well...
  • yeah, im just careful on what i eat and do that's all. Thanks alot!
  • The classes are more of an awareness teaching. They believe not knowing cab create free when can bring on more pain.

If you go you'll be more prepared!
  • me abd my hubby just finished ours, didn't scare me or anything it just explained everything about each part of labor how youll be feeling, gave good ideas of how to get through the pain and my favorite part was how it told dad what he should be doing to help. I feel more educated and informed so I don't have to just rely on nurses.to tell.me what's going on or what I should do
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Me and my bd went to prenatal classes with our first pregancy and it was a fun experience its great to have that time spent personally with him and they do different exercises to show what the men should do to help during labor. In our case it didn't help because I had to have a csection but this time around we will be doing vbac and I think the tips they give you in the classes are a big help.
  • This is my first baby and me and my bd went to the classes just to be prepared and even tho we already knew most of everything the told us it was still a nice experience and it is nice to have the bonding time with your man and its sweet to see them participate and be supportive :)
  • this is my first pregnancy and my bfs first being involved pregnancy (long story) so we have had one class and it looks like it could be helpful dont kno yet but the best part is it was his idea so he's really wanting to be able to help and get me through the delivery
  • @sheron my mid wife asked me if I had done them and I said no, I just researched on breathing techniques and stuff. She said the birthing classes are mainly for your boyfriend/who ever will be in the room with you and showing them how to help and comfort, because if you have seen one born every minute some men have no idea or understanding of the intensity of child birth
  • I never went to any classes n my labors were quick...n they came right out lol
  • I was made to go to one that my midwife taught at her birthing center. It was way to graphic for me since we were watching home births and such. I had read a lot prior to all this and knew what it was going to but to see it kinda flipped me out lol. I think as everyone said researching and even reading pregly stories makes you more aware of what can go wrong or what is going well. I am on my third child (bd first) and I gave him the choice he said hell just research it so I made him watch birth videos on youtube and I read to him from books (as I am a bookworm and sharing knowledge makes me feel better not cuz he is lazy) I think he is prepared... I know I am lol
  • I just came from my hospital tour and I have infant care class tomorrow. I also took bfeeding class and honestly I can answer pretty much everything regarding bfeeding because I also read book about it. I mean what people tell me that its a natural instict and I shouldn't take those classes but the way I see it , if I can educate myself and even learn one thing that could help me is a plus. I was very skeptical about my own qualifications as a new mom. I have no help and I have never even held a baby. By taking these classes I feel confident. I also don't like to hear tales from people, ill rather learn things could go wrong and how could I respond to it. I'm also planning on taking infant cpr and birth drugs. During labor ill rather trust my doctor and medical staff to make decisions for me but in case I need to make a decision regarding drugs , I wanna know their effects to me and the baby. I think it is always a benefit to learn more than just going into something blind.