First Deployment

edited June 2012 in Military moms
Hi ladies, my husband's first deployment is right around the corner and I have been trying to block it out but now that it's about that time I am trying to deal with it. Was wondering if anyone had any good advice and what I should expect? It'd be much appreciated, TIA.

Comments

• If you live near a military post, dont watch the news and dont read the newspaper, and dont believe everything you hear, it will drive you crazy..if you dont hear from him for a bit, dont worry, i know it will be hard..keep busy, he'll be home before you know it! We've been thru 2, year long deployments
  • @armywife5 that's a long time for both. He was gone for over a year til this march and I feel like he just got back and is leaving again. I don't watch the news or read much on the war cuz I know the media really knows nothing about it. We moved into our own place when he came home so it'll be a whole new experience being fully on my own with two kids. Thanks for responding :)
  • Letters... Write a letter every day if it makes you feel better... Stay connected as much as possible. Don't worry if its a few days till you hear from him... Don't count days (always drove me nuts thinkin time wasnt moving fast enough). Send him pictures of the kids or a cd of videos of Yall if he's got his own laptop. Use the support of friends around you, don't try and be wonder woman.... It's ok to admit you need a break and ask someone to watch the kids so you have a few hours to yourself... It's a process and it sucks but it seriously isn't that horrible. :)
  • Keep busy. Get a good support system in your area. That helped me a lot this past deployment.
  • The thing that helped me was working a lot to keep my mind off of things and being around my family. But always having something to do makes the time fly by
  • Oh and we sent each other videos
  • Thanks ladies! All good advice. We are looking for a lap top now for him. And i am a sahm for now, not sure if i will work when he is gone...What do you guys suggest to send in care packages besides things I know he likes? @jazzie @redshadoe0 @sands3
  • Like i said, obviously pictures. A cute idea would be a home video of daily activities.
  • Pictures. Video, care packages. Mine was gone 8m in Germany, home for 5m then in Iraq for 15m. It sucks but talk to people and get out. Dont sit at home all the time, trust me thats how I started. My mom noticed something wrong and had my family pack us up and move back to my hometown. My daughter was 13m when he left for Iraq.
  • Pictures, food, toiletries.....whatever he don't have sent it...