pulling own hair

edited July 2012 in Babies
So my lo has started pulling her own hair out! It acts like it doesn't faze her..we thought it was because we sometimes put a clip in her hair so she was trying to pull that out, but today she doesn't have one in and she has pulled maybe a dozen or so hairs out. I thought maybe her scalp was dry but there isn't any signs saying it is..I just don't know what to do. Anyone else's lo do this? How did you make them stop?

Comments

• Yes, my LO does it when she's tired. I read that they do it when they are trying to release frustration, when they are stressed or when tired. I just tell her, ”no, don't pull your hair,” and redirect her attention.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mijita glad my lo isn't the only one..most of the time she does it when nursing, but I guess she does it right before naps or bed time most.
    @mama_kat ouch to him pulling on his boy parts! I'm glad its normal..it was making nervous lol. Yea she could've been I guess...when days I work hubby puts her hair in a clip and when I'm home I put it up in a pony...but yesterday and a couple other days I caught her still trying to pull it out so who knows?
  • Oh yea totally..we watch her like a hawk when she has them in. She has such long hair it needs to be up some how all the time. @mama_kat
  • Jack does it when he's tired. He doesn't have much to , but he gets it. It doesn't faze him either
  • Awe I was bald till I was 2 so I was shocked with how much hair she has. It's now down to the middle of her nose now. @mama_kat
    @sands3 guess its not just a girl thing.
  • I went through this my son would get mad and pull on hid own hair he would also do it when he was sleepy I'm so glad he is past it although it took a while! He also pulled on his ears I took him to the doctor thinking it was always a ear infectuion and nope he was perfectly fine just wanted his way
  • @salasmommy she doesn't seem to be mad when she does it just tired so I guess that's a good thing.
  • Some babies get extremely fussy when they are super tired as soon as I see the firsts sign I dim down the lights and let him take his nap.
  • Oh yea I know how it is. We do the sake thing, but for some reason she starts getting tired at 7:30pm but won't go to sleep till 9pm..we have tried everything to get her to sleep that early. She woke up this morning with a bunch of little hairs on her. She woke up 3am so that's probly why. @salasmommy
  • My baby boy pulls on his hair when he is sleepy.
  • edited July 2012
    Xavier does it when he doesn't get his way or he's super tired hoping that all our lo's get over this stage soon. It lioks like it really hurts.
  • @excitedforoctober mine too.
    @stella I hope so too! It possibly can't feel good.
  • So it has gotten worse. She is now pulling her hair OUT. So I called the doc because she is now to the point where she is starting to go bald in those areas and she is double fisting it and its really hard you can see her poor scalp move:-( so now we have an apt today at 3:45 eastern time to rule out ear infection. Just thought is let you ladies know.

@stella @excitedforoctober @salasmommy @sands3 @mama_kat @mijita
  • I hope everything is ok!
  • Poor baby! Lily started doing that. I ruled out frustration and pointed it to being tired. Whenever she starts pulling I redirect her and put her down for a nap. It's mostly stopped.

I hope everything is ok. I would sure appreciate an update. Good luck!
  • Thanks me too @sands3

@mijita that's what we were thinking too until she started doing while she was eating..wither it be bottle feeding or spoon she was still doing it. Yepp I will tag you when I update.
  • Does she take a nap during the day? Maybe that's it. Staying awake to long then extremely tired by the end of the day when my son misses a nap its like that. if by 730 she hasn't taken a nap take her a bath at 8 feed her a snack and or bottle try reading. Shell be asleep by 9 . :)
  • Oh yea she takes at least 2 naps a day usually one about 2 hours after she wakes up and then another one like 3 or 4hrs after the nap and then she goes to bed about 4hrs after that nap and she sleeps all night.
  • If I were you I would try strech out that first time she wakes up to not nap until about 4_5hrs of her being up (ex she wakes up at 8am takes a nap at 12pm or 1pm wakes up at 3pm). Let her nap for 1_2 pretty much when she wakes up of course she eats, plays, at 7:30 another meal depending how much ur baby eats 8 bath then bottle. And she will be asleep. The key is to kep them busy and let them nap on a schedule. Just m.o jake doesn't pull his hair anymore he would do it when he was extremely tired or if we were on the run he wouldn't get his nap or got off schedule
  • I would but she is tired by then so that's when she naps...she does it when she eats too so I don't she is just tired...guess ill find out when we go @salasmommy

I will @mama_kat
  • Update?
  • The doc said its just a behavioral issue..no infections at all. @sands3 @mama_kat @mijita @salasmommy
  • Lol oh no she cares. She checked her thoroughly and couldn't find anything so she ruled it as a behavioral thing @mama_kat now the thing I have a problem with is my kid is only 8.5 months and already has behavioral issues lol...I'm screwed when she starts to actually talk and walk lol.