constipation

edited July 2012 in Babies
My lo (11 1/2months) has been constipated for about a month, she isn't constipated to the point of not pooping but she screams when she needs tries to go and there is just a little bit that comes out each time. It has caused a rash because it is a tiny ball the rest between her cheeks each time. The doctor is convienced it is caused by her formula but has not advised me take her off. I can't stand to see her in pain any longer and have tried everything I can think of prunes, prune juice, pears and switching formula. I have been thinking about taking her off the formula since she is so close to 1 is this a bad idea? If I take her off formula should I just start giving her cows milk instead and feeding her food more often?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Probiotics and flax seed oil as well.
  • Alot of people quit formula at 10 months and your lo is soo close to a yr. I think Itd be ok but i dont know if it would help. Try activia.
  • My friend has to give her son miralax every day to just to regulate him and she said he even still strains to go. So maybe its something to talk to the doc about. Idk what the dosage was that she gave him, but I know it was on a daily basis otherwise it was 10x worse. She even gave him prunes and juice anything you could think of to loosen things up and it didn't work just like you have said.
  • Fleet pediatric suppositories are amazing. You can use it once to at least get LO to completely relieve themself. Cut them in half and use the shaped end. Throw away the other half. Put some vaseline on the tip and push it in a little bit and pinch the butt cheeks together for a minute or two to let it dissolve. This WONT hurt baby. Lol. They take effect within minutes. Very helpful. You can ask your pharmacist where it's at. To prevent it in the future, I'd go with what HBA and Bahamamama said.