UK car seat laws suck

Urggh can't believe just how crap the law is over here, basically there is no age limit as to how long babies have to stay rear facing it all goes on weight. I've currently got a group 0+ seat which will go up to max 13kg/29lbs. My son is about 9kg now & won't be able to stay in it much longer as his head is getting close to the top. Apparently when he's 9kg he can sit forward facing!!!! Am searching for other options but there aren't many & all seem to be far more expensive than forward facing & we simply can't afford them & yes I'm mad!!!!

Comments

• I'm sorry that sucks! We aren't too far off either and I'm dreading buying one. I haven't figured out if we should go forward facing it stay rear.
  • I know your mad, but the longer he faces backward the better. It's way more safe than forward facing.
  • @ashley_smashley I really want him to rear face for as long as possible, that's why I'm so mad. No shops near me sell them, they don't even think they exist when I've asked about them, found a very small selection online (4) but all at ridiculously high prices & can't find out if they'll even fit in my car. We honestly can't afford to pay £400 for a seat, that's half of what we have to live on a month so bills will have to go unpaid. It just frustrates me they're not easily available considering how much safer they are :-(
  • how old is ur little one?
  • He's only just turned 6 months a week ago & was exactly 9kg/20lbs at his 6 month check @denois
  • Oh man that's expensive! Maybe try online?
  • Yes look at mothercare hun! There is a great one in there between 100-200 its group one but can rear or front face, so you can keep them rear facing for longer! My SIL has one and that's what we are getting for Riley so he can stay rear facing. There are definitely ones out there cheaper than 400!
  • I'm in the UK. Have you looked on freecycle. It's amazing, I've had a car seat, buggy, toys and clothes, all for free. And all in excellent condition. Xxx
  • Look on Kiddicare, my mil got one of there that can be forward or rear facing it was £45 xx
  • Look at the britax ones I have one that rear faces from new born to 4 years it can also forward face.
  • Thanks ladies for suggestions. Think I've looked at britax one you're suggesting, its only rear facing til 13kg & then has to be forward facing.
    Have just found a maxi cosi mobi online for £200 which is rear facing til 29kg (i think it was anyway) only stocked in 2 mothercare stores though so have to take a 120 mile round trip as not sold on their website to see if it'll fit & then order off this other site. Still can't believe how difficult they are to find over here. Britax, maxi cosi etc sell in other countries & say how much safer rear facing is but on UK websites its all about forward facing seats, I just don't understand why