Davey's Birth Story

edited July 2012 in Birth Stories
After having 3 daughters, I finally have a son.

I planned to have a water birth with the encouragement of my midwife. On July 22nd, my water broke at 35 weeks, 3 days. Absolutely devastating. We left to the hospital and contractions started immediately. They did an ultrasound, baby looked good. They moved me to my own room and we played the waiting game from 1:30am until 7:30am. I had still planned to have a natural delivery. It was pretty painful, so I asked if I could get in the shower. "No, because you're in labor and this is your fourth baby. You have to stay in bed." I burst into tears. How was labor to progress if I had to stay in bed? How would I be able to relieve any pain if I'm laboring on my back? I cried for 30 minutes. My husband was so mad. All he could do was kiss me and apologize that I was having such a hard time. Labor and delivery of your child should be an amazing, memorable time. The doctor came in and "made a deal with me". She said if I let them start pitocin, I could move (on the bed) to my side and they would screw an internal monitor into my baby's head. UM NO! Nothing is being screwed into my son's head unless absolutely necessary. She decided that I needed pitocin anyways. If you don't know, pitocin is the most vile, painful, intense thing that you will ever come across. Before I let them start it, I talked to my husband privately and we were forced to the conclusion that if I were to get pitocin, combined with not being allowed to move, I would need drugs. I told the doctor that I wanted the Intrathecal before pitocin was started. Well, they don't have it. I opted for the Epidural, crying the whole time even just thinking about it. They gave me the Epidural, and started pitocin. My husband came to me with a card from the gift shop, here's what it said: "(Outside) Flowers love rain. (Inside) People, not so much. Just wait. Your blue skies are on their way. (Handwritten) Vinessa, I know things are not going your way right now, but just remember as long everything comes out right and Davey is healthy, then it's ok. I know you are going to do great!! I Love You Dear!!! And your blue sky (Davey) will be here soon! Love, Puffin." I cried and cried some more. He was so right. I drifted to sleep for 2 hours and 45 minutes. I couldn't feel a thing. They woke me up, checked me, and I was complete. Davey's head was actually in the birth canal, and visible. Time to push, I gave a half assed, slow, painless push (I still couldn't feel anything at all), and out he came weighing 5lbs, 13oz and 19½ inches long. He has his Daddy's lips, nose, eyebrows, HUGE feet and the longest fingers I have ever seen. And he picked up two dimples on his cheeks. Lady killer already. I am glad he's here and home with me, and so glad it's over. My family is complete.

Photobucket

Comments

• Awe he is too cute! That's dumb they didn't labour like you wanted. Glad he is healthy and you guys are home:-) Congrats!!!
  • Congrats! Sorry it didn't go the way you wanted it but glad baby boy is healthy! And he's beautiful! :)
  • Aww Congrats he is so handsome! I have three girls and wanted a boy every time, your story just gave me so much hope. I had 2 very easy births, my last girls birth was very similar to Daveys.
  • Awe love it
  • Congrats! He is very cute and sounds like healthy that is the important thing. I hope your doing well yourself :)
  • Get those preconceived notions of what is the ”right” way to birth a child out of your head. Just look at that little beautiful human you successfully nurtured and birthed. I don't see anything to be ”embarrassed” about.

Congratulations, he's perfect!
  • He is amazing. Sorry you had such a rough labor hun.
  • Congrats he is prefect!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Your baby is gorgeous! You did great momma :).
  • He is handsome!!! Congrats!!
  • Aww sweetie he's perfect!! I'm sorry the Dr was an ass :( But your husband was 100% right. He's here and healthy and that's all that matters :) Love u hun!!!! Tessa sends her love to her future hubby ;)
  • Congrats on your new little one! Your hubby sounds wonderful!
  • Congrats!!!!!
  • CONGRATS!! He's gorgeous!! Although labor did not go as had planned the most important thing is your baby is healthy and so adorable:) Good job momma!
  • Thanks everyone.

@HomeBirthAdvocate I expected a magical, relaxed labor, since he is my last baby. I never thought it would end this way. I want him back in my belly and to do things the way Davey and I planned. I promised everyday that his birth would be stress-free and it just didn't happen. I cried/slept through the entire thing. I wish I could go back. Also, I don't know if it's protocol or not, but they sent a social services worker to my room to talk to me about drugs the day after he was born. She kept repeating "I'll call you after you and the baby's blood tests results come back if anything shows up". Why do they assume I was on drugs? I realize I probably looked like death and I was most definitely being a pain in the ass, but I did everything they asked of me. They took my placenta, I had planned to encapsulate it. :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I thought if you wanted it, they could not take it?
  • I understand you feeling disappointed. I had 2 csections and felt totally cheated with both of mine. Still, you have a healthy, gorgeous son! He truly is a handsome little guy and Im sure that with time, the joys he will bring you will help to diminish the feelings you feel about his entrance into the world. xx
  • First off congrats and he is adorable. Second off when I had my last son I learned so much more then with my others. You have the choice as to what happens to you and your body as well as your baby!!!! I had a vbac with my son. They told me I wasn't allowed to do this and that. I straight looked at my nurse and told her NO this is how it's going to be and if you don't like it to bad!!! They told me I had to be hooked up to the monittors all the time and not get out of bed. I told her sorry about your luck I will get up and I will walk around bc you all have wireless monittors and my contractions and his heart rate can be monitored via that. They call them something but I forget what the wireless ones are called. She also told me I wasn't allowed to take a shower either bc my water broke as well. I told them to kiss off I was taking one bc it's not like I was going to be sitting in a tub full of water. They asked me about my birth plan and I said I didn't write one up but I will tell you what I want. I told them they will not take my son off of my chest for the first hour, they will not cut his cord until it is done pulsating, and I will nurse him right away. They told me that was fine unless there was something wrong with him. I also said my fiancé is an emt and he will also be deliverying him as well unless there is something wrong. I did have to have antibiotics so I did have to stay in bed throughout that time but other then that I told them where to go lol. The nurses jaw dropped when I told her I know my rights and I'm hiring you so you have to listen to me. They followed through with everything I wanted minus the cord clamp delay bc he already had a true knot in his cord so there wasn't anything really getting to him any more. They asked me before they did it though. As for the placenta did you tell them before hand that you wanted to keep it?? They asked me about mine and I didn't want it. For all the other mothers out there just tell them how it's going to be. You do have the right to say NO to anything you don't want!!!!!!!!!! I only stayed 24 hours in the hospital as well. I don't understand why they would say something like that to you. I never had social workers come into my room at all when I had my kids.. Did she come back in and talk to you about your blood work then and if so what did they say??? Had I known I had more of a say so when I had my first son I would of never had a csection!!! That's another thing you have a right to say no to is a csection. They can not tell you you have to have one!! I had my son 5 weeks early as well. He did great and is a growing 3 year old now!!! I'm so sorry they didn't give you the options you wanted and that you didn't get the birth you wanted either!!!! That really sucks!!! I feel terrible for you but at least your son is safe and cute as ever!!!!
  • @captivated They took it for testing they said. It was gone before the baby was even 5 minutes old. I feel robbed.

@JoshnEviesmum He already brings me joy and I have a hard time putting him down. I didn't get to hold him or touch him at first. I understand that he was early, and needed assessed right away, but I wish I could have touched him. His Daddy didn't get to cut the cord, he's pretty upset about that. They even gave him a bath before I got to hold him.
  • Boy did they really rob you!!!! I would be talking to someone in the higher up category at the hospital about that. What was the reasoning behind the testing? He was healthy and ok. Did he have problems with his heart rate during the birth?? That is absolutely pathetic they stripped all of you from what you all should of had when there wasn't anything wrong with him. So what he was 5 weeks early. As long as he was breathing and crying then they shouldn't have taken him away right away. As I said before you as a parent if your child is ok have the right to keep him for up to one hour before being tested for the normal newborn testing!!!
  • edited July 2012
    @momofSOONtobe7 I feel like I did know more with him than I did with my other 3. Even my last baby I was let to do what I wanted. She was born at 36 weeks. I had amazing births with all 3 of them. This hospital was just all about getting the baby out quickly. My 36 weeker I was left for 24 hours after my water broke to see if labor would start on it's own. It didn't, so pitocin was used. This time, labor started directly after my water broke and they still weren't happy.
  • He is gorgeous!!! Congrats momma!
  • Well testing I can understand he was early ( even if it was just to b safe). Congrats they did you wrong but ur baby is healthy. I felt cheated bc I was pushed into a planned c section. I couldn't wait to feel a contract (crazy right) but I never even had a braxton hicks at 39 wks I was still completely closed. my doc told me I would not go into labor cause babies head was in my ribs. The depression you go through when the decision is taken away is horrible, and no one really understand y u are hurt.

Congrats again on a handsome man. Did u pose hin for that pic? My son would put his hand on his head like he was praying for strength to deal and he gave us the finger all the time.
  • I'm so upset for you, honey. :( I hate that you were bullied so much in your delivery. I understand that Davey was a little early and you were already laboring, so they were worried about you delivering while taking a shower, but there are better ways to communicate reasoning. As far as the placenta, mine was taken to see if it was the cause for delivering early, but I don't know why they would take yours seeing as how you were 35 weeks. Sorry about the social worker, too. You know your little boy won't have any drugs in his labs. :/ What jerks. **huge hugs**
  • Awww hunny your blue skies are looking pretty darn fine :D he is such a handsome little boy congratulations!
  • Hes so cute and perfect. Congrats. Im sorry your hospital didnt do what you wanted.