Help getting my almost 1 year old to eat meals

My daughter will be 11 months old in a week and she will not eat meals of any sort. She stopped eating solids around 6-7 months, so I started feeding her regular food, as well as some snacks (puffs, cheerios, etc.) She will eat the snacks just fine and will feed herself. Anything else is a battle. She throws a tantrum, turns her head and pretty much just refuses to eat anything. Every once in a while I am able to get her to eat what I am eating, but not often. I am afraid when she turns a year old she will starve. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all in advance. She is also currently on formula. She was breastfed (bottle) until 7 months.

Comments

• How much formula is she getting?
  • @starrxoxo9 She drinks approximately 34 ounces. Her Pediatrician said that is fine since she doesn't eat much food and that she can drink up to 44 ounces. She is gaining weight and actually started to gain more once we stopped the breastmilk.
  • Have u tried those gerber toddler entrees maybe that wuld interest her
  • Try a mesh feeder. You can put just about anything in it. It will allow her to explore the colors, textures, and different taste. She's probably into independence and is defiant against you feeding her. Try foods you know she'll like. Remember not to force her, because you can regress any progress you've made.

Have you cut up foods and let her self-feed?
  • @mrz_jackson I have not tried those, but I have seen them. I try making the same type of foods that are in them at home.

@mijita The mesh feeder just sounds so messy to me. I have heard great things about it though, just haven't decided whether I want to get one or not. I have fed her different foods and have tried to give her a variety of foods to eat. I usually try to let her self feed, but all she does is play with it unless it is the snacks.
  • Please don't take this the wrong way, but who cares if it's messy. You can always clean her up and the mess. What looks like playing is exploration. When she's interested she'll try it. Sounds like she's not ready, but also sounds like she's very independent.

I'm into fresh foods, especially fruits and vegetables. Lily self feeds almost everything, except squishy stuff like avocado. We have done, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, peaches, blueberries, banana, mango,grapes,nectarines, broccoli, zucchini, sugar snap peas, diced chicken, ground turkey, eggs... etc. She has become a sticky mess tons, but enjoys meal time. I make mealtime fun, regardless of how messy it gets. She explores her foods too, she squishes it, pokes it, smashes it and at times throws it.

Right now is the best for fresh fruits and veggies.
  • @mijita I like what you said about exploration. That may be all it is. We will just keep offering different things for her to try. She does well with fruit. Not very well with veggies though. I do pretty much the same thing you do, so I guess the mess isn't really the issue with the mesh feeder. Perhaps she just isn't ready yet. Thank you for your advice. It was very helpful.
  • Hi,
    Are you letting her self feed? My daughter is 11 months old too and is over mommy and daddy feeding her with a spoon. She likes it when I put her food on her tray, so that she can pick it up and eat it. Maybe that will work?
  • My daughter will not eat if I try to feed her, however she will eat just about anything if I put it on her tray and let her feed herself.
  • @monkey_girl We let her self feed as much as possible. I have been working with her more these last few days. We have made some progress, not much. She still only eats 1 or 2 bites, but she is trying which is more than what she was doing.
    @morgdeebee She is over being fed, unless it is one of the few items she likes to eat.
    Thank you all for your help. I think I am just not being patient enough and need to give her more time. With baby 2 on the way I am worrying to much and trying to rush her when she is just not ready.