help easing constipation pain please

edited August 2012 in Babies
Just recently my Husband and I have been trying to wean our 11 month old daughter off of formula and onto cow's milk (got the okay from the doctor). We were combining approx. 2-3 ounces of whole milk with her formula. She drank about 10 ounces total of whole milk a day for the last 3 days. I noticed she has been constipated, but it has not been an issue until today. She has been crying all day. I also noticed that she is finally getting her first tooth that has not popped through all the way. I assume the constipation is from the milk. I know it is to late to mix anything with the milk or cut back on the milk (which I intend to do) because she is already constipated and in so much pain. I tried giving her some water and a small amount of karo syrup with her formula. She will not drink juice at all, so that is not an option. I went to the store and got a suppository for her, which I already gave her. I tried vaseline as well and that didn't seem to help. She has gone a little, but she is still in so much pain. I don't know what else I can do. Does anyone know of anything that will help her feel better? Should I be putting anything on her? It is red from wiping her. I am not sure if that is also bothering her. Thank you to anyone who can help. I feel so bad for her.

Comments

• Massage her tummy and bicycle her legs. She could have gas trapped as well, and on too of everything else is making her uncomfortable. Maybe give get some prunes in her formula.
  • edited August 2012
    Something that may help ease the pain.. massage her belly and lower back area. It may also help kick start the bowels. We did that with my younger brother who had bowel movement problems as a baby. Hope she feels better soon!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ericak22 I tried to massage her tummy. I really have no idea if I did it right. It didn't seem effective at all. I have not tried bicycle legs. Thank you.
    @1stwoodsbaby I will try rubbing her lower back. Didn't try that. Thank you.
  • @homebirthadvocate Should I try that even though I already did the suppository?
  • She seems to be doing okay now. She is playing as if nothing was ever wrong. Maybe I should have posted this first thing this morning. Thank you for the tips. Hopefully she will be okay the rest of the evening.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about the milk. I am afraid to even try giving it to her again.
  • I hear coconut milk is better
  • @steph_due_101611 and @homebirthadvocate Thank you. All I could remember was Coconut milk. I couldn't think of what the others were.
  • I am so confused. I gave my daughter a suppository yesterday to help her go potty. She went and was in pain, but she managed to get quite a bit out. She was mildly fussy, but was more or less back to her usual self. She even slept great throughout the night. She woke up this morning and was happy and playful. She went with no trouble at all. We have been up a few hours now and not to long ago she went again and cried like crazy

I guess I am just wondering how long this will last. I thought that once she went real well she would be okay and she hasn't had any whole milk in almost 2 days. My Husband wants to continue giving her whole milk after she starts to feel better. Half a bottle in the morning and half a bottle in the evening. I would be okay with this, except for the fact that that is basically the same amount that she was already drinking. I think it is a bad idea. I was planning on switching to Goat's milk. I don't want her to be in any more pain. I am just sad for her and am looking for any advice that anyone can give me. Thank you.
  • @homebirthadvocate Thank you for responding. I wasn't sure how to change the title of the thread to let everyone know I updated it. I appreciate your help.
  • edited August 2012
    Try to include watery foods to help with the constipation too. My son loves grapes and they really help keep him regular. :-)
  • The random fussiness could easily be from teething as well. Not saying she isn't constipated, but I would say you've got more than 1 thing going on.
  • @ourlittlenugget and @blessedtxmom Thank you. I will try that.
    @misskristin I think you may be right. The constipation has subsided for now, but still seems to be experiencing some discomfort. She is ten times better now though.