autism?

edited August 2012 in Ages & Stages
Does anyone have or are close to kids with autism? My son Logan will be 4 sept third and starts preschool this year. All summer I have wondered if he has it, when I research it I don't think he does but I still worry with the way he acts that he does. I want to see how he does in school before I talk to the doctor bc I think it might just be that he needs more time with kids and get used to it bc he goes to the babysitters with just a couple kids and does good. Reasons I worry is he plugs his ears for loud sounds, but yet he is very loud and he yells a lot for no reason, repeats himself a lot, he plays aggressive but only with certain people, he also picks his lip. Some days he shows no signs and other days I notice it all day. He is also very hyper but im not sure it isbad enough to be adhd.

Comments

• My son had some sensory processing issues when he was little, he covered his ears with load noises and when he was scared. He refused to walk on carpet with socks on, and he will not touch paper towels if they are not damp or wet. He is not autistic, but I would say that he does have some traits of aspergers, not enough to diagnose.
  • Sounds like my son as well and his sensory disorder. He sees an ND and has helped tremendously
  • @Bahamamama4828 @2ndtimearound thanks for responding. Do your kids always do these things? How does therapy and stuff? I almost feel like there's nothing wrong with what he does, like it doesn't affect life. I just worry so much, can the behavior get worse as they grow up? I mean all I have to do is mention to him and he stops. If he is plugging his ears during a firetruck I just tell him it is okay it is just a truck and he stops, yet other times he gets excited to see the truck and doesn't cover his ears.
  • I meant how does the therapy help? And what made you talk to the doctor/what age were they?
  • edited August 2012
    I worked with kids who have autism but just like the other ladies said it maybe a sensory disorder.
  • My son situation was different because he was diagnosed as bipolar at 6 or 7 years old (his father is bipolar). I never actually thought to talk to his doctors about his covering his ears or the tactile issues. I guess it didn't seem like big deal to me. However once he started treatment for the mood disorder I brought these issues up. He grew out ofthem all except the paper towel thing he still doesn't like it. He's 15 now.
  • @TayTay what are some signs of the kids you work with? If they have just a few signs do they still need treatment?
  • There r a lot of different stages of autism. I've worked with severe to moderate. Some signs r poor social skills, they can have poor motor skills, some r non verbal, the list goes on. If they r moderate they don't necessarily need therapy but I would still recommend it. One child I work with was a repeater. Does ur son repeat things he just says or what u say too?
  • @TayTay he repeats what other people say, like his papa said don't make me spank your ass and so Logan says i'll spank your ass! Which I thought was normal. His babysitters husband is a teacher and mentioned how he repeats what he is saying, example they we're playing candy land and Logan was red and kept repeating the word. I don't think he understood the game so he was just trying to play right. When I talk to him he just repeats himself until you answer him and then he stops.
  • I don't think a stranger would notice it, I think they would just assume he was an impatient kid who wouldn't wait his turn to talk.
  • How old is he? He doesn't sound like he has autism but then again I'm not a doc. I would take him to see if I were u. The kid that was a repeater repeated word for word what someone would say. Example..."Hey Billy. How r u?" N he wld repeat "Hey Billy. How r u?"
  • @TayTay he def doesn't repeat like that. Sometimes I think im just so worried I get paranoid about it and nothing is really wrong, I just worry too much. Thanks, im going to ask at his four year check up in sept.
  • Well keep me posted hon n I seriously don't think it's autism.