Breast feeding mums!!

edited August 2012 in Solid Foods
Mason just turned 9 months yesterday(Aug 16th) And My doctor said I should be feeding him baby food once-twice a day. Do I HAVE to? He still gets full and stays full from my breast milk. He is 21.14 lbs and 30 1/4 inches tall. So he isn't skinny and unhealthy. My doctor said bm just doesn't have the vitamin d and iron that baby food does. Hmm I though I read some where that bm has EVERYTHING needed no matter what age.

Your thoughts?? Thank you And please feel free to tag any health nutritionist or medical ppl.
Not sure who is still here.

Photobucket

Comments

• They say bf babies only need breastmild up until 6 months and thats when we should start giving them baby food. Atleast thats what I have heard!
  • dr.is right. Alot of babies are starting table food at 10 months.
  • Hes too cute!
  • I've always went by "food before one is just for fun" but my babies always started to be interested in food around 9-10 months.
  • Did he have his levels checked? If so, you can just up your iron/vitamin d intake.
  • @Bahamamama4828 no he didn't. I do need to take my iron pills and daily vitamins. I just hate medicine. blah.

@mmy21nttc that's what I thought. I guess I am just being lazy. lol. I hate feeding him. He moves and squirms and looks around. He just needs to be taught to sit still. I know.

@YNVTish thank you :) He is my little ham. ALWAYS grabbing people attention with his dimpled smile and sparkly eyes :)

@LeviLuv8 I guess I just read to many articles from other countries(we are in usa) Or maybe they only feed bm b.c. they are poor to give actual food. hmm.
  • edited August 2012
    Breastfed babies have an iron stores up until about 6 months when their levels start depleting, therefore that is why it is recommended to start solids that would supplement these nutritional needs at about 6 months. As far as vit. D, usually sun exposure is sufficient enough to provide adequate levels; however, if you tend to keep baby bundled or indoors, you may fail to meet those levels. Some physicians will recommend vit.D supplementation early on for breastfed babies.

Infants need very little iron and vit. D to meet their daily requirements. I was somewhat in the same boat as you and really didn't want to introduce cereal to my LO because it really has no nutritional value, BUT is fortified with various vitamins and minerals that babies need. So I pumped breast milk and mixed it into infant cereal (Earths Best) once a day, at breakfast, to meet those needs.

Meats will also provide iron for babies.
  • I'm in disbelief at some of the comments!! We barely started our 9 month old dd on solids last month. And only because she was giving cues that she was interested. Food before one is just for fun. Dd gets less than 4 oz of food a day, if that, besides breastmilk. She is a healthy 24 lbs. Do what feels right for you. If he is content and happy after feeding, keep doing what you're doing. Also keep taking your prenatal. Breastmilk changes and adapts to what baby needs. It's a great great food for baby. And keep doing it as long as you can!!
  • He's a cute one! And definitely not unhealthy. My LO is 10 months and only 18 pounds. I have no idea about your question. Sorry.
  • I'm in UK & here they advise to start weaning at 6 months. Can't answer whether nutritionally bm is still meeting all your sons needs but weaning not just about that.
    Weaning also about introducing new flavours, textures so less likely to have a fussy eater, chewing helps with speech development & finger foods help with hand eye coordination.
    My son is nearly 7 months, eats 3 meals a day (+ bm), He plays with the food, spoon, dish etc wriggles & turns his head everywhere nosing around, gets absolutely filthy every single time, I hate the mess & all the extra washing but figure he's got to learn at some point & he loves it. He started showing interest in food around 5 months but I delayed weaning til he was 6 months.
    But all kids are different, you know your son best, you'll know when he's ready & just take your cues from him.
    He's gorgeous btw :-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What do you all mean by shows interest? Like, he watches me eat. But he is ALWAYS watching me lol

@HomeBirthAdvocate
  • Yes...or likes opening his mouth when you do..My daughter the other day grabbed my plate because she wanted what I had. She is nine months. She has been on solids for about 3 months now, she loves. She gets so excited when I put her in her high chair. I give her oatmeal cereal with some bm in the morning and a half of container of veggies and half a container of fruit for dinner. We started only with breakfast first tho and then added dinner. We tried lunch last week but she wasn't interested in that so we stopped.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mine wasn't interested until after 7 mo, she's a couple days away from 10 mo. Docs don't know everything about bm. I do have mine and my lo iron and d checked. Were good! My lo doesn't eat much solids still. Just a few bites here and there every other day or so. She loves yogurt though! I do let her feed herself, because I believe in baby led weaning.
  • My Dr told me the same. But I refused cereal and vit d strips. I instead made sure she had as minimum of 3 hours a week outside for vit d (per her recommendaton).
  • @caroline8_p We definitely spend time outside. Mason LOOOOVES swinging :D
    Photobucket

Ok I will start feeding him more often. :) Today he had watermelon. Scared me when he pooped! haha. I forgot he had it and well his poo looked bloody. But it was just the watermelon. :) He loved it.
  • He is so freaking cute and chunky! Do what you feel is right. My son ate food about once a day around that age. He is one now and still breastfeeds just as often. Not even the slightest weaning even with three meals and a snack. He still bfs every three to four hours.
  • edited August 2012
    @captivated haha thank you. :) He is my ham. I dont plan to wean until he is ready or like 14 months. I will probably feed him and after his feedings nurse him so I know he is full. :)