He is so abusive

edited August 2012 in Ages & Stages
My son is one and incessantly slaps, HARD, head butts and all around hurts me! I never had this with my daughter and I don't know how to stop it! I say no very sternly, will grab and hold his hand, slap his hand, grab him and set him down away from me ..nothing works. He thinks it is hilarious. Please help ladies :(

Comments

• I wish I could help but Jack pinches, pulls my hair, slaps and also head butts. He laughs at me when I tell him no
  • Laila does the same :( and shes only 10 months. I guess her being visually impaired isn't stopping her from kicking my ass
  • edited August 2012
    He's probably trying to tell you that he's tired, over stimulated or just frustrated. Lily would do it when she was tired or frustrated. I would redirect her attention to something a little more soothing that she likes to do (i.e. taking a walk around the neighborhood). Also when she would hit, I would grab her hand where she was hitting and rub it softly and say, ” be nice, soft like this,” and rub hand up and down softly. It took about a week of this for her to stop.

It's an aggressive behavior and don't think aggressive behavior to correct it will help. Swatting them when they are swatting only reinforces their behavior. Try a total opposite approach, but stick with it.
  • We must have the same child! My son hurts me all the time. He headbutted me in the face the other day, and I still can't feel the left side of my nose. Slaps me, pinched me, and bites me! I've tried grabbing his hand and telling him no..nothing works! :(
  • My 10mo beats the crap outa me too. He kicks, slaps, pinches, bites and head butts. It's so frustrating. I use his jumparoo as time out. He can't escape yet and now that he walks he hates not being able to move.
  • Ahhh @mijita I will try that. It isn't frustration, but him playing. @everyone else, glad I'm not alone!!!
  • Exactly the problem i have and from time to time it comes back. I stopped smacking my sons hand and he stopped. I think he was doing it because he felt it was ok to hit. I dk but every now and then he does it and laughs i just try to be as patient as possible and say no formly not screaming because he then tends to scream too. Im still learning as he is my first. I hope this helps
  • My daughter is the same way at 2 years old no matter how i tell her no or sit her down its all jus fun for her its very frustrating
  • I second that my son abuses me and my mom and anybody in his path he busted my lip the other day when he head butted me .. Nothing helps but they say it's normal at their age because they want to see reaction they grow out of it when they get older and that sucks for us
  • My daughter never did this but my son who is two is pretty rough...hitting hair pulling etc. I've been very consistent with timeouts. It started about 3 months ago and is just starting to work with the timeouts. Now he is starting to realize what is,going on and he isn't gonna get away with it. It's hard sometimes but keep up with it. Now he says sorry and has calmed down alot. He used to kick me while changing him he hasn't been lately. I was so bruised up from him. He is older than your son but just keep at it:) wishing you luck:)
  • Mari went through that stage at 10-14 months....now when she gets tired she just grinds her forehead into mine (I'm like "great, she's not even 2, and we're already butting heads...")
  • @Captivated I posted about this the other day :) I can't find my thread though
  • @captivated try setting him on his bed for a time out. I did that to my 2 year old. He took a 2 hr nap after being on his bed after 10 min
  • @captivated ...he'll grow out of it. I was told to grab my LO's hands and distract her with a kiss or tickle. If you say ouch they think its a game and they'll keep doing it.

Haylee is 13 months and she just grew out of it... Or what I've been doing has been helping.

I slapped her hand once.. she started crying and I started crying and we just sat there and hugged and cried... Awwww... They don't know better! LOL