yellow?

My son started kindergarten this year, their behavior chart is based on a color chart he has gotten green (the best) so far, until today. Today he got yellow, along with a note that said he was talking during class and continued talking after the teacher asked him to stop and listen. I explained the color chart and that he had green until today and why... He (with a dumbfounded look on his face) said "I didn't know you got that" anyway... I took away video games and television for the day and told him if if was bad at school he looses privileges at home. He cried and said ill never do it again, I almost feel like my own punishment for him was harsh. But I don't want to be one of the parents that don't hold their children accountable or that blame the teachers for their childs punishment (cousin who swears their child's teacher has something against their child, who I horrible and everyone knows it). Opinions please???

Comments

• Go with your gut and your first instinct. Don't ask the opinion of others because you'll only confuse yourself. Everybody parents differently. I think every parent feels bad when they have to discipline their child, which btw wasn't bad for the offense. You are not a horrible mother.
  • You only took away his things for the day. If you had done a week or longer it would seem more harsh, but I think you handled yourself well. It will give him time to think about it. It really is important to be a team with the teachers. Don't feel too bad about doing what you think is right for your kid.
  • I think you did great:)
  • How is that hash? Hes gotta learn somehow..
  • I think you did the right thing. One toy taken away for a yellow card/dot/etc for a day. That way he can learn, 'if I have to change my card/dot/whatever to yellow then I cant play with my toy today.
  • I guess I was just second guessing myself because it was his first offence and I am a sahm, he has never been I'm this type of setting so I know he is still trying to learn how it all works. I didn't want to let it slide this time because its all so new to him and I thought I was doing the right thing but when I see everyone around me doing nothing if their child gets in trouble at school I started questioning my punishment... But Thanks ladies, I feel alot better now! @1stwoodsbaby @aishamusa @Mrs4c @rtmommy @mijita should I write a note back to her on his weekly color chart paper and let her know we handled it at home, or just let it go? This is all so new to me lol
  • @blessedtxmom I'm confused by your comment... What do you mean by teachers don't always see both sides of the story?
  • I worked in a school for a few years. From my experience teachers love to know that parents "back them up" and reinforce good behavior at school, at home. The teacher wpuld probably love a note just saying we had a talk and he understands. Since so many parents, like you said, dont discipline or even care of their kid gets in trouble at school, a parent that does care goes a long way with the teacher.
  • @1stwoodsbaby thank you I will write her a note back and let her know! I just didn't want to be like "we took care of it" and the teacher think I locked him I'm a closet and beat him Lmao
  • Lol yea that wouldn't be good!
  • I dont think that really matters if you let the teachers know if you handled it or not. I kinda think their sapposed to know automaticlly since you are the kid's parent. But now a days who really knows... meaning in general.