Healthy Eating Movement

Calling all families that would like to start eating healthy and even drop some weight.

I thought it would be a good idea to once a month post your "weekly meal planner" on pregly. This will encourage others to eat healthy by giving each other ideas...

In addition.. I found that the support system is the key to make the lifestyle change.

Who's down to drop pounds?

Comments

• Me too! Is there a place to share files? I'm usually just on my phone not computer.
  • Great idea! I should copy you and start a, ”Get Moving Movement!” :)

• @Wilsomom; Google docs is a good collaborating source.
  • I would love to join you guys :).
  • @Wilsomom let me check. Or... Maybe you can download the pregly app and we can get @mama_kat to set up a pinned post at the top.

@sophiasmom11 ... I'm with you girl.

@Mijita ... OMG seriously! I'm nursing my LO right now so I can top her off so we can go walking. We're gonna need your expertise on this post as well.

@Lourdes26us1... Yes the more the better.
  • Me! I wanna lose 30 lbs.
  • @Wilsomom
    @sophiasmom11
    @Mijita
    @Lourdes26us1
    @TayTay

Let's all start by posting your 1 week meal calendar for the week. Then allow all of your peers to help tweek it as well.

If something sounds good then we can post the recipes. (maybe that's what we can get @mama_kat to do... Is start a healthy recipe thread pinned to the top.)

So let's take some time and get started.

In the meantime @mijita can you suggest some things to keep in mind while planning?

Oh yeah and ladies... Keep in mind that the meals we prepare have to be fed to the entire family.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The most important thing to remember that many overlook is protein. Many cook such high carbohydrate meals and skip the protein. Protein helps maintain satiety and you'll feel full longer. I'm not talking about loads of protein, but a good protein source with your meals and snacks. Here is an example of my breakfast and snack so far (fyi, I measure everything) ...

Breakfast:
    Old Fashioned Oats with walnuts and skim milk

Snack:
    1/2 serving greek yogurt, an orange and banana

Think colors, the more colors the more nutrients!
  • Me! I'd love to join!
  • @mijita - How can I add a little protein to this, or does the plant milk have enough?

Blueberry Banana Pancakes

1 banana mashed
    1/4 c. plant milk (if I'm out of bananas, I use 1 c.)
    1 c. whole grain flour
    2 t. baking powder
    1 T. maple syrup
    1 c. fresh or thawed frozen blueberries

I like to puree the berries (sometimes other berries) because the kids like them better that way and then I can call them Purple Pancakes!! ;)

We simply eat a couple of these with a little Earth Balance and a tad of maple syrup or the Log Cabin natural syrup (no HFCS), but I'm thinking they need a little more protein.
  • edited September 2012
    Here's a few of my menu items for the week - I can add recipes if anyone's interested:

Breakfasts:
    Blueberry Banana Pancakes (see above)
    Oatmeal w/ Walnuts & Berries
    Veggie Tofu Scramble (GOOD! Tastes just like scrambled eggs!)

Lunches:
    Energy Salad (this just means a huge salad w/TONS of veggies in it)
    Udon Noodle Soup (I just buy these pre-made)

Snacks:
    Hummus w/ Carrrots & Cucumbers
    Sweet Pea Guacamole w/corn chips or whole grain crackers (Major yummy & nutrient intensified)
    Sweet Cream Dip w/apples & bananas (tofu based)

Dinners:
    Japanoodles
    Polenta Pizza
    Sweet Potato Veggie Lasagna
    Fiesta Fantastica

I got a lot of my recipes from the book "Forks Over Knives".

And my kids love most of these too, except the teens which I raised on the SAD. :(
  • @wilsomom I would add nuts to the puree, I would think you would get some protein from them! Plus I think it would taste awesome!
  • Kind of like a pecan waffle, with blueberries and bananas! Yum!
  • edited September 2012
    @second_time_mommy7
    That's a good idea!

Also, @mijita , what about the "don't mix your starches and proteins" movement? I've heard a lot about that and digestion issues. Just curious your take on it. Also, @bahamamama4828
  • edited September 2012
    @second_time_mommy7
    @bahamamama4828
    @mijita
    @wilsomom
    @sophiasmom11
    @Lourdes26us1...
    @usplus2
    @TayTay
    @JoshnEviesmum

If you haven't already... Add "MyFitnessPal" app to your phone or go on your computer and set up an account. Many of us Preglys have linked up yesterday as friends.

We can all do update status reports, support each other, share recipes and more.

This app or site allows you to track your weight, workouts, calories, water intake and more... You will absolutely love it.

Many of us preglys have lost 12 to 19 pounds using this so far.

Add me as your friend "LeticiaHuggins"
  • And me! flabulesslulu xx
  • edited November 2012
    Marvelbj812