@Wilsomom

I missed a couple of your questions, the first being how to incorporate more protein into breakfast jacks. You can cut the serving portion in half and either add an egg, a glass of milk, some yogurt, a breakfast meat or keep it as is but make sure the next snack has protein.

Your second question about separating food groups is an odd concept to me as many foods contain a mixture of fats, carbohydrates and protein. Our bodies break down each nutritional element in different areas of the body; carbohydrate metabolism begins in the mouth, protein in the stomach and fat in the small intestine. Respectably, each increases in time it takes to digest, with fat taking the longest.

I'm interested in reading articles you've come across that talk about this trend, as I think that is all it is -- a trend.

@Wilsomom

Comments

• I try to eat a plant based diet so I think that's why I'm missing so much on the protein side.

The food combing is based on the science of Natural Hygiene. This article and website should explain it pretty well...it's very fascinating to me.
    http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/food-combining/proper-food-combining-for-maximum-results

Thanks for the help and let me know what you think about the Natural Hygiene thing. Have you ever watched the Forks Over Knives documentary? I bet you'd find it interesting as well.
  • Eeeek. I got a headache reading that, lol. Talk about a complicated concept. People have been eating a variety of mixes throughout time and have survived. I honestly don't think eating certain foods in conjunction with others decrease our health and life span. It's the foods themselves that do. Over indulging in the wrong foods and lack of physical exercise is what is slowly killing us. Granted, I'm not even including environmental factors that have gotten worse over time.

I'm curious about this concept. I'll have to run it by a few other RD's and get their input. When I have time I would like to research studies, if any, and their findings. I'm betting very little has been done.