Medical Assistant Rant

I don't know if this will offend any fellow Medical Assistants, but I cannot keep it in any longer.

I work in a doctors office as the only nurse. The rest are MA's. Our nametags have our titles removed so that it only bears our name. The MA's introduce themselves to every patient as their "nurse". This is ILLEGAL. You cannot misrepresent yourself to a patient. NOWHERE in your title is the word "nurse". We are all considered the same, which is fine as I get paid much more than they do because of being a nurse. What IRKS my nerves is purposefully misrepresenting themselves and it seems as if this is no big deal?

They are also working far beyond their scope of practice here. Inserting catheters and bladder instillations (filling the bladder to max capacity with sterile water). And a plethora of other treatments that shouldn't be given by an MA, such as chemotherapy treatment. I love my job, but I am getting highly annoyed that I went to school for so long and busted my ass to be able to do this job to just have someone that went to school for six months calling themself a nurse? Do I sound like an egotistical ass or am I making any sense?

I look at it this way...if I was receiving chemo, I'd DAMN sure want to know that the person doing this was an MA and not a nurse. Just like anyone else would flip if they found out their nurse was calling themself the doctor.

Rant OVER!

Comments

• Yeah I totally agree. Sometimes at work the patients call me nurse and I always correct them and tell them my job title
  • "A medical assistant should never refer to herself/himself as a “nurse,” “office nurse,” or “doctor’s nurse.” In every state this is a violation of the Nurse Practice Act, and can result in fines and penalties. All office personnel should avoid referring to medical assistants as “nurses.” If a patient addresses you as a nurse, you should politely and pleasantly say that you are a Certified Medical Assistant® (CMA), not a nurse."

http://www.aama-ntl.org/CMAToday/articles/publicaffairs/details.aspx?ArticleID=377
  • EXACTLY @kayleigh27. You read my mind with what I just posted. I would never refer to myself as an RN. I am an LPN. There is a big difference and I am aware of that. Why can't everyone else realize this. If I have another MA at work look at me and say, "There's no difference between LPNs and MA's.." Yes. There is. If there was no difference, we would not have different titles and schooling. It is highly offensive to me.
  • I don't think your being unreasonable! I as a patient would want to know! I would report them!
  • Yeah because if sh*t hits the fan that information might hurt the tech/MA
  • Yeah I'm just a LPN as well. When I'm working EMS though I don't go in there and say that I'm a paramedic when in just a EMT
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not only does it hit the fan, but it puts the entire office at risk to be sued for malpractice. I'm about to print this out and slip in underneath my managers' doors.

@ashley_smashley, I am about to just be a major bitch and if I'm standing there next to them when they call a patient back and say, "Hi, my name is ____ and I am your nurse today." and I'll say, "Sorry sir, she meant she is your medical assistant/nurse assistant, etc".
    Maybe that's a bit over the top, lol.
  • Thing is, @mama_kat, this is how it is EVERYWHERE. I'm starting school again for my RN. It's a six month bridge program at our local college. I'll stick it out until then, but this is beyond annoying to me.
  • Every time I address anyone as a medical assistant, or bringing one's patient back and say, "this is ___, the medical assistant caring for you today", I get the most intense dirty looks. Seriously? If it bothered me by being called an LPN...I wouldn't have gone to school for it! If you want to be a nurse and called a nurse, you my dear, need to go back to school.
  • No I would! As a patient it's my right to know if they misrepresent themselves! There is a BIG difference between going to school for 6 months and going to school for years! My mom is an RN and she takes that shit seriously!
  • I do as well @ashley_smashley. I think it is a huge deal. However, when I mention it in passing or ask about it at work, I am met with you-should-shut-up-because-you-sound-like-a-bitch looks.
  • And maybe it's the military part of me, but I also am not fond of answering to an MA as if they are in charge of me. It doesn't work that way. See, now I'm ranting further and sounding incredibly egotistical. Just as I am not in charge of an RN, a MA should never be in "charge" of an LPN.
  • I see what you're saying @mom2ing, but it is illegal. It's not just an issue of ethic, but it is state law. They purposefully removed the titles off name tags in order to hire more MAs at a cheaper price to, in turn, call and address them as nurses. Cheaper labor. They hired me because they needed a nurse to clean up the unit as it is a MESS. Things done incorrectly, injections administered to the wrong people, bladder damage from improperly done voiding trials by MA's, improper sterile technique and cleaning of bladder scopes. I saw an MA the other day leave one patient's room with a cystoscope, rinse it off and walk into another patient's room with it! These things have to be sanitized for 45 MINUTES! I've seen an MA do a Sub-Q injection of a chemo drug as an IM.

To top it off, they do not receive specialized training to perform catheterizations, etc. Sigh.
  • People should represent themselves correctly. Whenever someone calls me their nurse, I say "actually, I'm your respiratory therapist. I do belly button up." Don't misunderstand my schooling though. I went for 4 years to get my degree, too. I just specialized. It does irritate me when nurses think they're better in my case, because I have just as much schooling and their jobs would be extremely difficult without me.

There's my own rant. Anyway, I agree they should tell their correct title and no one in the work place should treat anyone else as if they are less valuable. It needs all of us to work. :)
  • I agree @RTMommy. I know I am not perfect either! Your case is definitely different. Much much more schooling.
  • I process a lot of my own equipment, and hearing how they think something should be cleaned is appalling. Especially since it's an office of immuno-compromised patients. :/
  • They also perform BCG bladder installations for bladder cancer. Bcg is the live tuberculosis. You should be in mask, gloves and gown...they only wear gloves. An ma should never be handling bcg. @mom2ing
  • That's so dangerous!
  • I dont even think nurses are allowed to perform bcg treatment. We can draw it up..but don't think that even I can do it.
  • I don't know! This is a very prestigious office as well. The doctors are so renowned that patients travel to our country to see them.
  • edited September 2012
    I think the blame goes into the practice itself! Individuals with degrees go to school for them and should be referenced on their name tags. They are there for a purpose! I think the practice you work for is misrepresenting itself by not regulating mispractices you are witnessing. For one I think it's intentional to pay unqualified individuals less then necessary. The practice is in some serious violations and are putting lives at risk! I think it's just disgusting that equipment is not properly sanitized, YUCK!

Remember, you took an oath and should report what you are witnessing. Maybe address it in a different fashion (i.e. The cystoscope incident, improper techniques and improper uniform). Tread lightly though, because being a ”newbie” you may not be heard as you should and it may come and bite you in the butt.

Good luck!
  • That's super frustrating. Is there any way you could anonymously report what's happening there? If I was a patient, I'd be very upset to find out someone was doing procedures on me that they weren't supposed to be doing. Also, I think it's totally wrong to misrepresent yourself to patients. As a hygienist I have people mistake me for the dentist and I make sure to correct them. It's kinda amusing because my lab coat has my name and title on it but people don't read apparently. Anyway, I think you should report the goings on to a higher authority because someone could get hurt. And if it comes out that you knew what was happening and didn't say anything, that could be your license on the line.
  • @mijita, you are right, but how do I go about this? I haven't said a word, other than the cystoscope incident because of just that- being a new employee. I don't have a clue what to do. I love this job, but this is on my nerves so much that I am considering looking for employment elsewhere. Is that overreacting?
  • @frantastic, how do you think I should do this?
  • There are state inspections and things like that @bettymomma. I'm pretty new, so I'm not really sure what steps can be taken.
  • In all honesty, you're in a tight spot. Seems you may be damned if you do, or damned if you don't. You have likely heard and seen how the office manager works and whether or not if they are approachable. Either way, I don't think it would be good to go out on a limb and report anything because in all likelihood they have been doing it for years with no incidents (dumb luck) and you'll just come across as arrogant.

You have two options; (1) report the violations to an agency like OSHA (not sure the exact one in medical malpractices), or (2) keep an eye out for work in the same field (urology) and abandon ship, as you don't want to be stuck in that mess when that ship starts sinking!
  • Here's another question, @mijita. If I do quit and find work (I won't quit unless I have another job lined up), do I tell them I worked in this office? Wouldn't it make me look unreliable as I only worked there for a couple months? And what reason would I give for finding work elsewhere?
  • @captived "Conflict of personal interest."
  • I think the experience will work in your favor. You don't have to tell them the truth, as again it will reflect negatively towards you. Just use the excuse that you needed something a little closer to home or different flexibility for childcare.

If upon you leaving your current job asks you why you are leaving, then you can very nicely and professionally tell them why. You may make an impact that way, but I doubt it. They know what they are doing and refuse to do anything about it.