Laila's health

edited September 2012 in Babies
*sigh*
It's been confirmed that Laila also has microcephaly (sp?) On top of her low vision. She is doing everything like any other baby. She crawls, gets into everything, and babbles away. Oh and shes only at 14.5 lbs at 11months. I really hope that its just a misdiagnose

Comments

• :( sorry to hear that i hope it its misdiagnosed i vwill pray for ur babys health
  • I know its very stressful. But thank you i really hope its not that and shell eventually just have a growth spurt
  • Even if she does have microcephaly, as long as she is growing and developing normally, she should have no cognitive deficits and continue to develop and meet age-appropriate milestones.
  • on the weight i dont think its bad my daughter is 1 yr and only weights 16 lbs i think she weight as much as leila at 11 monthsr they concerned on her weight?
  • @Crisjoe yeah her drs are surprised that she is meeting her milestones. It took her extra time but once she started she just kept doing new things everyday. Thats why im hoping that, thats not the case :(
  • @waitingformybaby Yeah her pediatrician is worried & has her seeing a nutritionist and geneticist. Not too long ago did she see an endocrinologist to see if there was something wrong with her thyroid and for her bones as well
  • What is it?
  • Microcephaly: An abnormally small head due to failure of brain growth. In precise terms, microcephaly is a head circumference that is more than 2 standard deviations below the normal mean for age, sex, race, and gestation. (Some authorities define microcephaly as more than 3 standard deviations below the mean.)
    @heyitsme
  • Well if she's on the small side, it only makes sense her head would measure small. Sometimes doctors are too anxious to "diagnose" a child when he or she falls outside of the normal growth curve. Maybe she's just going to be petite. Try not to worry too much, Mama :-)
  • Awww. hoping the Dr is wrong!
  • Well I hope that the doc is wrong and is she eating ok u think? She may just be on the small side. My daughter is petite because both of us are smaller it's it's genetic but she's very healthy and has great development. Are u guys small?
  • @Ourlittlenugget I really hope so too! Thank you i try my best not to worry
    Being a 1st time mom makes it a little more difficult to deal with
  • @jules She eats just fine alot I would think
    Me & her dad are pretty short im more on the petite side I guess. Hes 5'7 im 5'2
  • Oh my goodness yes! I'm 5 feet and my son has always been around 10th percentile. I always ignore them when they tell me this, however. He's beautiful, strong, consistently growing, and hit all milestones ahead of schedule. Yours sounds just fine too!! >:D<
  • My nephew has it as well. He's reached his milestones too. He started walking around 14 months. He's a very happy boy.
  • Anthony is the 5% for height and weight but is actally 50% for head... Im short ( 4' 8") and hubby is tall ( 6' 2") so he is very small for his family... Dont freak yourself out. Shes healthy, eating, growing and meeting milestones and thats what matters!
  • Yeah shes in the 3rd% or under for everything. But she follows her own path on the chart.
  • I really hope the doctors are wrong and she is just little.
  • @MorgDeeBee Thanks girl I really hope so too!
  • I don't know why the doc is worried about then my daughter has always been 5 to 10 percentile in height because we are petite and she from the beginning expected that. She always told us that as long as she is growing and most important developing like she should. Which she never had problem with. Well u don't stress and maybe ask why they think it needs to be looked into since u guys are small.
  • @jules I've asked so many questions. All I get is well she is underweight & not at the height she should be so we gotta refer her here here and here. Sometimes I think they've just havent ever seen a baby with her paticular eye problem & development that theyre just using her as their guinea pig :(
  • Maybe they think there is a bigger problem which is causing the eye problem. I am not doc so I don't know. But if u have the time and insurance to just have her looked at I guess it's better to be safe then sorry. But at same time don't stress about it.
  • @jules They've checked her brain development, thyroid, chromosomes (genetics), everything came out fine. Thats why I say that its kinda like theyre doing it for their own purposes.
    But thanks mama i'll def try my best not to :)
  • Well what what could they possibly test that's crazy they want more. After all that I would assume they would just stop the test and keep an eye on her during the regular check UPS.
  • I agree. If they've checked everything and it's all normal, keep monitoring her eye condition and go about your lives. You can certainly decline further testing and referrals if you desire.