Struggling this morning :'( I need advice.

edited September 2012 in Breastfeeding
I am really struggling. Breastfeeding has become physically and mentally draining. I dread feeding her. She just does not latch on right. It is no longer a bonding experience for me and her. We both just cry through it! I find myself not enjoying being with her like I should because I am so worried about feeding her. It makes me sad. I do not know what to do. Am I the only one? I feel like a bad mom. I struggled so hard to finally get my baby and here she is and I feel like I am not enjoying her like I should. It breaks my heart. And my pump broke last night! Some how milk got into the tubing and now it doesn't turn on. I just feel so defeated. I know breastmilk is healthier but I also know the way I feel mentally, the way I am struggling to feed her, and the anger and frustration I have is not healthy. I am scared to give her formula because I don't want her to get sick or something. Not to mention my bd is no support with this. He thinks it's just nice and easy to just whip my breast out and feed her. Its not that simple!! :'( I have been crying all morning with what I am suppose to do. I have a can of similac advance from my hospital goody bag. I don't know what to do. I am struggling whether or not to give it to her. I don't even know how to make formula!

Comments

• Have you looked into a breastfeeding support group?

Are you on WIC?
  • I no breastfeeding is best but if its that bad i wuld try formula their only this little for so long an it sux u dont get enjoy this stage i always loved the newborn stage if u do decide to try formula baby will be fine:)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Have bd go get you a nipple shield. It might help you with getting her to latch. And honey, PLEASE make an appt with a lactation consultant already. We keep telling you the same thing...It's time for you to try it. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it won't change if you don't do something differently. Hugs.
  • I'm so sorry you are struggling and unhappy. It is very hard a lot of the time at first but it WILL get better. Just like the other ladies said, please see an LC just a soon as possible. It will be a God send really. They help a lot. She will help the latch also. I had an issue with my son and daughter both where they didn't want to open up real wide and it was painful for several weeks. We got past it though. But if you decide to do formula it makes you no less of a mother :-) I just think if you are producing good and you can get the latch right, you will be so happy you continued. I was so happy I stuck with it.
  • I don't comment hadly ever , but just wanted to let you know that I had preemie babies so I pumped and was never able to build a large supply if milk. I so desperately wanted to bf my babies too, but it got to a point where it was consuming my every thought. I have had 3 kids, my last 2 were preemies, I lost my milk supply after 3 months of each birth. All of them were fed formula from about that point on and they are all perfectly healthy, even my preemies. As mom's we always want what is best for our kids & of course, breastfeeding is the ideal, but if it's causing you that much stress, it isn't worth it. You'll look back wishing u had enjoyed her more because they grow up too fast. She will be totally fine if u decide to make the switch and even if she does get sick,it most likely won't be because you didn't breast feed. Don't beat yourself up over it. Enjoy your little princess because the first year goes so fast and you don't want to look back, sad, because you were too stressed to enjoy it.Keep your head up :)
  • Have you looked for tongue tie at all? What city/state are you in?
  • First off YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOM!!
    It is extremely hard the first few months..it hurt a ton!! I realized that the more I thought and stressed over it the less milk I produced. The more stressed out I get the less I make still at 10.5 months. Don't let anyone make you feel bad if you make the switch. At least you have given her some and that's all that matters, you gave it a try. Don't let hubby make you feel bad for wanting to switch. Yes it is easier to just whip it out and stick it in her mouth but if you are too stressed and frustrated she is going to feel that and not want to eat.
    As for making formula, you add the powder into however many ounces of water she is eating. I don't know what the recommended scoop to water is, but then you shake it until all the powder is dissolved. That's how we did it with my sister when she was little.
    Do what is best for you and her!! Plain and simple and if that means to stop then stop! The first year flies by so enjoy every little minute you can. And don't worry about the little things. Even bf babies get sick so if she was going to get sick she would get sick no matter if she got milk or formula:-) keep your head up mama you are doing a fantastic job!!
  • Please please please see the lactation consultant!! You're in a very emotional, hormonal place and a little help could make all the difference. You deserve to enjoy her and give her your best including breast milk if you desire. If it doesn't help you'll at least know you did everything you could and won't have to regret anything! ((Hugs))