breastfeeding and d&c

edited September 2012 in Breastfeeding
I recently found out that my pregnancy wasn't viable. I was supposed to be around 9 to 10 weeksaand only a 7 week sac was found with no baby or heartbeat. I am still breastfeeding my almost 11 month old and don't have any plans to stop. I wanted my body to naturally start the miscarriage on its own, but having trouble having symptoms still and knowing no baby will come of it. Does anyone know if a d&c will affect my milk and if I will have to stop nursing? Any advice is appreciated. Tia.

Comments

• I had a d&c and breastfed as soon as I got home. There is no reason to stop :) they will tell you not to breastfeed for 24 hours or so, but it is not necessary at all. Pregnancy is actually a cause of lower milk production, so no worries.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would express enough for 48 hours if possible to be on the safe side x
  • And I'm sorry you've gotta go through this x
  • You do not need to express after surgery. Anesthesia is metabolized very quickly by your body and is out of your milk within hours. The amount that actually gets passed to baby is so small that it has no effect on them. This is directly from La Leche League and my lactation consultant. Doctors are intelligent, of course- they went to medical school, however, they do not have proper training on human lactation nor do they have much, if any, knowedge on metabolizing and percentages of medications passed through breastmilk. :)
  • (Just look at it this way, when I woman has to be put under for a c-section, they are still able to breastfeed after surgery. When a woman has a c-section and receives strong narcotics IV, they still breastfeed. Women breastfeed directly after epidurals. These medications equate to anesthesia and are actually reserved in breastmilk LONGER than general sedation).
  • edited September 2012
    "You actually CAN breastfeed within 2 to 4 hours after surgery. The reason most doctors say to wait 24 hours is that they were trained before anyone every studied anesthetics in breast milk. Well, this has now been researched and shown that the levels of anesthetic medication used in general anesthesia do not significantly persist in the breast milk beyond a couple hours. The little that does remain for the rest of the day is so minute, that it will have no noticeable effect on the baby." -Dr. Sears

The American Academy of Family Physicians states “Mothers of healthy term neonates can resume breastfeeding once they are awake and able to hold the infant.”
  • Thank you for all your responses, and especially @captivated for providing some great facts and resources. I am going to give it one more week and then talk to my midwife about it. We are moving in a month and my baby is turning one. I'd love to be able to celebrate and function with peace in my heart at that time.