AHHH! How do people manage?

edited September 2012 in Breastfeeding
I have returned to work full time and feel like all I do is pump all day long! I teach special education and if it weren't for my paraprofessionals I don't know how I could continue breastfeeding! I pump every 2 hours for 15-20 minutes while at work and pump after every feeding I am with Jackson and have now been getting 14 or more ounces total for the day. Thankfully while he is at daycare he is only eating 9 ounces or so. I just feel like my job is suffering but I don't want to pump less and affect my supply. I am still taking fenugreek and am looking into making lactation cookies to help productivity hopefully! How the heck do ladies do it?!?

Comments

• Are you snacking during pumping sessions, staying hydrating and eating well (not skimping on calories)?
  • I hated pumping at work. Eventually I stopped when my son was 4.5 months. It was just too much of a hassle.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mijita I try to snack and drink lots of water throughout the day. I don't think I am skimping at all. It is so frustrating not to be pumping more so I try to pump every time he eats to keep stimulating some supply and demand.
  • You can move to pumping every 3 hours and it won't have much, if any, effect on your supply :)
  • @Homebirthadvocate that is how I feel too! I really don't want to have to supplement with any formula and I would love to breastfeed for at least a year. I just wish I could find a way to pump more efficiently at work and not have a negative effect on my already low supply! I will feed and pump one side at the same time in the morning to go faster but otherwise I feed from both sides and pump after for 20 minutes. At work I pump every 2 hours for 20 minutes and get 2 to 2 1/2 ounces each time.
  • @Captivated for a normal person I would think that if they pumped every 3 hours instead of 2 then they would pump more volume at each session but it doesn't seem to make a difference with me. No matter what it always weeks I only get 2 to 2 1/2 ounces.each time so my theory is that I can get an extra 2 oz with the extra session at work. maybe I am wrong and doing more harm than good? I don't know...{sigh}
  • edited September 2012
    @Captivated I would love if it doesn't affect supply though!
  • Definitly every 3 hrs. I was the same when I first pumped at work, every 2 hrs on the dot for 15-20 min (but I could work and pump at the same time). I took 9 fenugreek pills a day, 3 at each meal.. I didnt pump after feedings though.
  • @caroline8_p 9 pills a day...that seems like a ton! I wish I could pump and work at the same time! Would make it so much easier!
  • Its to help inctease milk supple. It worked for me. I got 18oz one day.
  • Make sure you're also eating lactogenic foods. There's whole list ....
  • I was able to pump 18 1/2 oz today...maybe that's okay.
  • That was pumping after each feeding and 4 times at work. I also take fenugreek 3 times a day at 1500mg...could the dose be increased and still okay and safe?