Self-weaning

edited September 2012 in Breastfeeding
Recently I started refusing the boob to my LO, who is 14 months, during the night because she got to the point of waking every 1.5 to two hours to find the boob. She was not getting good quality sleep and was constantly yawning throughout the day. I was gentle about it and now when I turn my back to her she knows it means no.

Last couple days she's been pushing me away herself and continues to push until I turn my back to her. She'll then settle and fall asleep. I'm happy she's making the adjustment and will continue to BF, but I'm left feeling empty. I can't help this feeling of dread and emptiness as if I'm doing her an injustice.

I know these feelings are normal, but some reassurance from previously self-weaned mommas that this is normal would be encouraging. I suffered severe PPD and want to make sure I'm not having a relapse.

Comments

• Ahh, I feel you. Malia is 13 months and has slowly started nursing less. It saddens me already that sooner rather than later, she wont need my boobs anymore.
  • I know I get sad too. :(

@caroline8_p
  • I get sad knowing that soon Brody will be done nursing. He nurses ALL night long though and the older he gets the harder it's getting on me and the less sleep we both get. But I am going to miss the bond when he is done. I thought about the self weaning but he will be 1 in October and the thought of having my body back sounds great but at the same time October seems to soon for me to quit lol. I'm so torn.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.