Feeling defeated

edited October 2012 in Breastfeeding
Jackson had his 2 month checkup yesterday and has only put on 1 pound 7 ounces since birth :( His doctor is concerned and very proactive! She ordered a blood draw to check and see if he has an overactive thyroid, he is getting his tongue clipped next week since he is tongue tied, and she wants me to give an ounce of formula after each feeding. She said my caloric count of my milk may be too low since he takes plenty of volume while at daycare (4+ oz each feeding). I just sucks to think it could be me having a negative affect on his growth and development, although he is hitting all his milestones at this time.

I do love the support I get from his doctor! She is very pro breastfeeding and said the same thing happened to her when her son was 2 months. She said it was hard not to feel horrible and she sobbed and sobbed! I guess I feel luck to have her to support and relate to. I am also glad that she covers all her bases.

We will continue to breastfeed and cross our fingers that the little formula, and the tongue clipping will be all it takes to get his weight increased.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What type of flaxseed and how much? Are there pills that would work? I would love to continue being proactive and not give up! @homebirthadvocate

thanks @mama_kat it helps to know that this has happened to others. he is just so darn cute and always happy that I didn't think anything could be wrong.
  • Good luck!! :) I'm glad she is so supportive!
  • That's awesome that you have such a caring doctor! Some just do their "jobs" and don't really seem to care.
  • She is awesome! She comes in sits down and just visits with us about how everything is going! She doesn't seem to clock watch like some doctors and is more than willing to share her personal experiences with us. It seems like she takes an interest in each of her patients...she said she had been thinking about me and how my transition to daycare had gone. We got so lucky to have her in town! She definitely goes above and beyond a typical doctor!!!!
  • @Homebirthadvocate Thanks! I will go pick some up tonight.