New Pregnancy Test Detects TWO Pregnancy Hormones (and other random info)

edited October 2012 in Pregnant
I was so confused, because I thought there was only ONE pregnancy hormone-HCG. So when I saw a test in the store saying that it is the "only" test that detects BOTH forms of pregnancy hormones, I was surprised. Continuing this from another post as to not take over.

Apparently, there is HCG, which sustains the uterine lining and production of progesterone. This is what all HPTs and betas test.

Then there is HCG-h, which is produced only by the placenta so these tests can detect pregnancy IMMEDIATELY after conception, where no other regular HCG test can. So for all you TTC mama's that have that POS urge like, seven days after you ovulate, these are much more accurate :)

This may be old news, but it's new to me!

Comments

• Okay, I'm research happy right now. Realized that there is a difference between false positives and evaps. Some tests, as seen in the Table the Clearblue Easy are actually more sensitive than an FRER test, as it detects a lower level of H-hCG. Showing 13 H-hCG, IU/L & a 6.3 Regular hCG, IU/L at 1 min. This could be the reason for some "False Positives". Since this hormone is at it's peak before implantation it could be that the very early pregnancy was detected... but there was a problem & the fertilized egg did not implant. Therefore giving a BFN shortly after.

Testing so early can be detrimental because you can naturally produce a higher level of hcg at certain times during your cycle, so if a test is testing as low as 6hcg, it would show faint positive when, in reality, you're not pregnant.
  • How long after conception does it take for the placenta to develop and start functioning though?
  • "It is not uncommon for a woman to have a negative urinary home pregnancy test result around the time of her missed menstrual period but a positive serum hCG result when
    assessed a few weeks later. This discrepancy may be due to the insensitivity of
    a home or point-of-care pregnancy test [3]. A similar situation may occur
    when a woman has a positive early pregnancy test, but a repeat urine or
    serum test approximately 1 week later is negative. This is due to early
    pregnancy loss [8,9]. There also is a clear variance in the sensitivity of home
    and point-of-care pregnancy test devices for detecting intact hCG and HhCG:
    some tests poorly detect H-hCG (the key molecule in early pregnancy),
    and others more efficiently detect H-hCG than intact hCG [3]. The data from
    Butler et al [3] indicate that urine devices need to be formulated to optimally
    recognize H-hCG." @thehumancrockpot
  • Okay, when the fertilized egg first implants itself into the uterus, the part that EVENTUALLY turns into the placenta begins immediately producing the HCG-h. @wilsomom. The placenta begins forming immediately, but starts functioning around ten weeks.

• Sweet! :) I'm a pee-on-a-stick junkie! Lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.