finally self settling

edited October 2012 in Sleep
I just managed to get my daughter who will be 1 next week to get herself off to sleep.... I had to do controlled crying though as I had tried EVERYTHING else and it was killing me rocking her for up to 2 hours a night. I go in to her every 10 mins lay her back down, give her a kiss and tell her I love her and goodnight. If she is getting really worked up I definitely go in earlier but mostly she just yells not really crying. Last night she was asleep in 15 mins!!
Also yesterday she seems to have lost her dummy (binky) and so I thought bugger it I'm not getting more it's time to get rid of it and she didn't seem to be all that stressed about it!!! Yay!!!

Comments

• That's great!
  • Nice! I'm going to start trying this also. I wanna wean him from bm (slowly) and sleep on his own. any tips?
  • @dra765 hmmm know his cries so you can tell easily if he is actually getting stressed or just mad. I think letting a baby cry a bit because they are pissed off is fine but not once it turns into a stressed/hysterical cry because then when they do fall asleep they wake after only a little sleep because they are upset.
    If you decide your going to do it be consistent and don't let your emotions over come you as this only confuses them and makes the process harder. The first few nights I would spend a few minutes with her to settle her down and over a week reduced how long I spend in her room. Don't pick him up just lay him down tuck him in advance pat him or gently giggle him.
    Make sure your partner is on board and if they get involved they need to be doing the same as you are.
    The first few nights may take up to 1-1.5 hours
    ... but it gets better.
  • its just hard because he does cry very dramatically if he's tired. he points at my boob to nurse but I know its to sleep. then if he wakes up like 2 hrs later it's the same cry. it sucks bc its so late I want him to be quiet but iknow he can sleep longer bc he's done it a few times. its so stressful :(
  • If you decide to do it... it's better to continue through the night with the same method. How old is your lo? @dra765
  • he's 1 now :( his sleep is random. usually its 10-3 eat 3-5ish eat 5-8 wake up on a good day. last night it was 10-12:50 eat bc he was screaming 12:50-3 cry so ear 3-5 then 5-8 it was tough
  • eat not ear
  • I stopped bf at 6 months and just cuddled and rocked her till she fell asleep each time she woke and refused to feed her. I knew she wasn't hungry just doing it for comfort though. Try a really big meal at night, feed him the boob about 45 mins before bed then offer it again just before you want to put him to bed to really top up his belly so he may last longer.