Should I be feeding my 13 month old during the night?

edited October 2012 in Sleep
My 13 month old has been waking around 3am for about a week now. Sometimes she sleeps through the entire night. Other times, she wakes and I will go in rock her, giver her a paci and she goes back to sleep. The past week has been difficult. I have been struggling to get her back to sleep. She goes to bed between 7-8pm every night. It takes about an hour or two to get her back to sleep, which makes me wonder whether or not I should be feeding her. She wakes up for the day around 7am. Also, I have not been changing her at night. I think this may be another issue. I plan on changing her tonight and if that doesn't work possibly feed her. I just don't know what I should do. I do not want to get her used to waking up to be fed and changed. I also don't want to be mean and make her wait, but being that she has slept through the night before and wakes up at 7 I feel that she could go all night. Should I feed her you think or should I try and get her to wait until 7 when she wakes up for the day?

Comments

• Maybe try putting her to bed an hour later. :/
  • @blessedtxmom She eats great, so I didn't think she would need a feeding at night. I didn't know if I was expecting to much since she goes to sleep so early. Maybe making her go all night isn't possible.
  • @wilsomom My husband and I have both tried. It doesn't work. Most of the time she just falls alseep on the floor if we haven't taken her up to her crib.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oh I see, lol. Did you check her for swollen gums from teething? My 12 month old is cutting his molars right now and woke up at night a for a while until they broke through. Maybe some teething tablets or tylenol before bed if that's the case.
  • @mama_kat I am definitely going to try that tonight. I do think she may be fussy because she wants changed. She used to wake up 3-4 times a night until she was 11 months old and than at least 2-3 times a night until 12 months. I was afraid that because our old routine was to be changed and get a bottle she would expect it now if I started it.
  • Your hubby takes turns...!!! :o @homebirthadvocate I never knew there was such a thing! Lol
  • @wilsomom Yep, I have checked. Nothing. She has her 2 bottom teeth and no sign of any others coming in.
    @homebirthadvocate I am feeling a little pressured to get her to sleep through the night. My husband really wants her to be settled by the time our new baby arrives. I agree that if she wants to be fed she should be fed. I didn't know if this was common for her to wake up or if most children this age sleep through the night.
  • Maybe she's teething our not feeling well. I took Jack to the Dr a few Weeks ago because he woke up crying and it took me forever to get him to sleep. He had a double ear infection. I never knew cuz he was fine during the day and never got a fever.
  • My 3 yr old still occasionally wakes up! My lo will be 1 on Sat and still wakes up a couple times to nurse. My 3 yr old usually just wants a drink and then he's back to sleep. I wouldn't worry.
  • @Mama_Kat I took him back in today. His right ear never cleared up. It's causing lots of draining in his ear, eyes, and nose. My poor baby looks so rough. His eyes are like glued shut :(
  • @sands3 I will see how she is the next few days. Maybe that is what's wrong. She doesn't act like anything is bothering her at night. She is usually just whiny, not really crying hysterically.
  • @bahamamama4828 Thank you. I am trying not to worry to much.
  • @Wilsomom Really, I make my husband take turns to when he is home just not on his first night. I have been really lucky lo has been going right back to sleep.

I just switch milk for water at night. lol he gets mad after a couple tries thows his the bottle and goes back to sleep.