can.....

edited October 2012 in Breastfeeding
can breastfeeding be use as a birth control? I've heard from so many ppl and last the Wic lady told my sister so Idk...Delilah is 3 months n I still haven't gotten my period n my sister baby is 6 months and she hasn't raged lol. So Idk. What do y'all think?(know)

Comments

• No way! Totally unreliable. I got pregnant while breastfeeding last year. Plus I was on birth control. I dunno why the WIC lady told your sister that, because it's false. I haven't had my period and my son is also 3 months old.
  • She told her that you can don't ovulate while breastfeeding. Well if you only breastfeed.
    but Idk. @Fate
  • It's def not reliable. They do say it can stop you ovulating if you're exclusively bfing & you have to be nursing regularly throughout the day & night ( can't remember how often they say ) but everyone is different. I got my 1st pp period at about 5 months & was still ebf at that point.
  • I was only breastfeeding. No baby food or anything. She was 4 months old when I got pregnant with my son.
  • It is supposed to be more/as reliable as the pill, but u can not even give your baby a binkie. Anytime baby needs to suck you have to give your breast even then I think there is something about the first six months. See what the La leche league say about it there may b rules to it that i don't remember.
  • I forgot to mention that I was also on birth control (minipill).
  • Just checked LLL book - lactational amenorrhea method is 98-99% effective (same as the pill) in preventing pregnancy when all 3 of the following are true :
    Your baby is under 6 months
    Your periods haven't resumed
    Your baby is ebf without regularly receiving any other food or drink inc water.
    It then mentions LAM less effective if you do any sleep training so baby goes more than 6hrs without nursing, if you give a pacifier or if you're away from baby for 4 or more hours a day, even if you pump.
  • Don't do it! Lol I was breast feeding got my period at 5 months pp and got pregnant right after my first period. Now I am literally sitting here right now nursing my 3 week old my babies are only 14 months apart
  • edited October 2012
    No yea,I know I was just temped lol n I was like let's see what my fellow preglies think. Lol im like on no brith control well only condoms.
    I breastfeed her 24/7 lol I do give her a binkky.
    @willothewisp
    @2600wifey
    @char
    @fate
  • It might be awhile before you get your period. Elena just turned one and I haven't got it yet. My last baby I didn't get it till he was 14 months.
  • It can. It's a part of natural family planning. You have to be VERY vigilant though. Not something I'd recommend.
  • edited October 2012
    The thing is you will ovulate b4 your period in most cases. You can guess what will happen if you ovulate and don't know it. I am pregnant now my son is one and I never had a period. I started using opks and cutting feedings back more and more until I ovulated. It was 100% effective for me I had to go out of my way to get things going again. @CANT_WAIT93
  • I got pregnant while breastfeeding. Be careful!
  • I ebf an got pregnant when my son was 6 months, id say its a hoax. I also got my period 2 months after I had my son but my sister in law breastfed her baby til 6 months not exclusively an she never had her monthly cycle CRAZY. So it probably just depends on the person.